The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m a complete beginner and have got a small aquarium for my son to have some African dwarf frogs and a few tetras. Having set up the aquarium a week ago I’ve noticed white cotton like stuff growing on the rock, how do I treat this?
Do I need to treat this before I get any fish / frogs?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TPT!

Can you post a pic of the cotton like stuff on the rock?

What size is your tank? Dimensions would also be helpful.

If this is your first ever tank, you should read up on how to cycle a tank properly to make it safe for the fish and the frogs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plant Bedrock Sculpture Art Grass

Hi, I’m a complete beginner and have got a small aquarium for my son to have some African dwarf frogs and a few tetras. Having set up the aquarium a week ago I’ve noticed white cotton like stuff growing on the rock, how do I treat this?
Do I need to treat this before I get any fish / frogs?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
Hi and Welcome to TPT!

Can you post a pic of the cotton like stuff on the rock?

What size is your tank? Dimensions would also be helpful.

If this is your first ever tank, you should read up on how to cycle a tank properly to make it safe for the fish and the frogs.
Thankyou, and thanks for the quick response. It’s a 25L tank, with a filter and heater, it’s been running nearly a week now in preparation for fish. Do you recommend any YouTube videos for cycling tank in preparation for them?

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
Do you recommend any YouTube videos for cycling tank in preparation for them?
Search right here on the forum. Use the search function. For real. You're on one of the largest, if not the largest, repository of planted tank information on earth. Reading a few posts about the cycling process will make things super-easy to understand. Going down YouTube rabbit holes as a beginner can be (not always - but usually) a recipe for disaster.

Search "fishless cycle" - here's a great post to start. The TL;DR: is that you'll use an ammonia source to help bacteria colonize your tank so they can process critter waste. It's not as complicated as it seems initially. Going through the process will prepare you for caring for your tank.

That said... 25 liters is quite small for fish and frogs. I don't know any Tetra that will thrive in a volume of water that small. So you likely need to reconsider what you plan to keep.

The stuff growing in your tank is common with new setups. You can remove it if you like but it'll go away on its own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Search right here on the forum. Use the search function. For real. You're on one of the largest, if not the largest, repository of planted tank information on earth. Reading a few posts about the cycling process will make things super-easy to understand. Going down YouTube rabbit holes as a beginner can be (not always - but usually) a recipe for disaster.

Search "fishless cycle" - here's a great post to start. The TL;DR: is that you'll use an ammonia source to help bacteria colonize your tank so they can process critter waste. It's not as complicated as it seems initially. Going through the process will prepare you for caring for your tank.

That said... 25 liters is quite small for fish and frogs. I don't know any Tetra that will thrive in a volume of water that small. So you likely need to reconsider what you plan to keep.

The stuff growing in your tank is common with new setups. You can remove it if you like but it'll go away on its own.
Thanks.
Ok brilliant will get reading and have a look through.
Well it was initially just for small frogs that my boy had seen at a local pet shop, it was them that had mentioned other fish such as tetra. Like I said, I’m completely new to it all, so just started out small. I’ve kept reptiles before so used to regulating temp etc.

Ok, so if I took the rock out and cleaned it in fresh water, it would be good to go back in? Just don’t want to put fish or frog in until the tanks ready

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
@somewhatshocked offered excellent advice with the link to getting your tank ready for fish or frogs.but your tank is very small for both at about 6.6 gallons.

You can remove the rock and clean it off but the stuff will probably return. That is an unusual rock, especially being hollow, is it something you bought at a fish store or did you find it outdoors? It is very common in new tanks, especially on driftwood and should go away on it's own eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@somewhatshocked offered excellent advice with the link to getting your tank ready for fish or frogs.but your tank is very small for both at about 6.6 gallons.

You can remove the rock and clean it off but the stuff will probably return. That is an unusual rock, especially being hollow, is it something you bought at a fish store or did you find it outdoors? It is very common in new tanks, especially on driftwood and should go away on it's own eventually.
Yes bought it from a fish store.
We don’t plan on anymore than having 2 frogs anyway.
Ok so would it be ok to put fish or frogs in with it still there?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yes, the white fungus is not harmful to fish or frogs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
try lightly prodding it with a stick or even coming near it, if it contracts its vorticella. in that case you dont want to shake or otherwise disperse the ball. if the white ball doesn't respond to touch then it could be white hair algea that in my expeirence comes with newer tanks and is harmless (from what i read)

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
try lightly prodding it with a stick or even coming near it, if it contracts its vorticella. in that case you dont want to shake or otherwise disperse the ball. if the white ball doesn't respond to touch then it could be white hair algea that in my expeirence comes with newer tanks and is harmless (from what i read)
OP posted a photo displaying what is effectively surface film and initial growths common in newly set up tanks. It's not vorticella, thankfully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts