The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what the going rates to buy a 5 lb cylinder are in your area. Locally, I live in a pretty rural area so I've only found two shops close by.

One out of a welding shop will sell me a cylinder for $160 and swap it for $19. Obviously that seems a little high. He also won't do 10 lb cylinders.

Air Gas will sell me a full cylinder for $86 and swap it for $25, tax included. Not sure if the other place included tax. The cost to refill is higher, but he seemed more professional and is closer to home.

I'm aware of where to buy cylinders online and know I can get them new in the $60's, but if all I can do is swap cylinders I don't really feel the need to give them a brand new shiny one.

All I'm interested here is your local prices to see if I'm getting gouged and need to find somewhere else.

For reference, I'm in central Florida.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that information. $5 is dirt cheap. Perhaps I need to check around some more..

Thanks for the link to the recertified cylinder. I knew about Beverage Elements but forgot they did recertified. Not a bad price all things considered and it beats the one by Air Gas by a bit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
$5 is dirt cheap from my perspective as well.

I'm paying $16 to exchange a 5 lb at a welding supply shop in a city full of heavy industry . . . That being said, the place near me is exchanging out aluminum cylinders and won't accept an empty steel one, only aluminum. They wanted about $90 for a full 5 lb, so I bought an empty recertified cylinder from beverage elements and exchanged it for a full one . . . I can get them filled for the same price, but its faster to just exchange.

-Justin

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cheapest option for you overall will be to buy the recertified one from beveragelements and just swap it at the local shop. Yeah it sucks to give them a newer tank for a used one off their dock, but why pay more for a local one to end up just swapping it anyways?

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
$5 is dirt cheap from my perspective as well.

I'm paying $16 to exchange a 5 lb at a welding supply shop in a city full of heavy industry . . . That being said, the place near me is exchanging out aluminum cylinders and won't accept an empty steel one, only aluminum. They wanted about $90 for a full 5 lb, so I bought an empty recertified cylinder from beverage elements and exchanged it for a full one . . . I can get them filled for the same price, but its faster to just exchange.

-Justin
any price over $3/lb is gouging..AFAIAC...
CO2 "bulk" price is like $20 a ton...

·
Registered
341 Posts
$160 seems pretty darn steep for a full 5# cylinder. I went to my local AirGas and bought a full 5# cylinder for $92 out the door, $20 swap. My AirGas guys seemed to be very professional. They were pretty confused when I said I needed Co2 for an aquarium.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the advice. I really hate to swap out a newer tank and get some ugly thing in return. My stand isn't really big enough right now to house a tank along with the two filters, so the tank will likely have to be displayed which is why I was really hoping not to go through the process of swapping. I also thought the $160 price was outrageous which is why I sure as heck won't be going with it. I probably will use them to swap if I have to, since every $$ counts these days. If I have to have them swapped, I'm hoping to find someone to do it for a little bit less than $20 per fill. In a 40 gallon tank I'm sure this will last months, but again, $$.
@KC1994, to answer your question specifically, I don't need to have the 5 lb dimensions, however the welding place near me will only swap out 5 lb and 20 lb tanks, stating that 10 lb is not common enough. I doubt they will do 7 lb tanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the advice. I really hate to swap out a newer tank and get some ugly thing in return. My stand isn't really big enough right now to house a tank along with the two filters, so the tank will likely have to be displayed which is why I was really hoping not to go through the process of swapping. I also thought the $160 price was outrageous which is why I sure as heck won't be going with it. I probably will use them to swap if I have to, since every $$ counts these days. If I have to have them swapped, I'm hoping to find someone to do it for a little bit less than $20 per fill. In a 40 gallon tank I'm sure this will last months, but again, $$.

@KC1994, to answer your question specifically, I don't need to have the 5 lb dimensions, however the welding place near me will only swap out 5 lb and 20 lb tanks, stating that 10 lb is not common enough. I doubt they will do 7 lb tanks.

The 7lb will be best option for the money and just have them fill, not swap. Any welding supply or fire safety is your best bet. Airgas is a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Regarding fire safety/fire extinguisher places, is there a specific way to phrase my request. Should I fib and tell them it's for another use, something more related to fire safety?

I was just thinking that maybe they would be less likely to help if it wasn't for an "approved" use.

I did come up with a few local hits via Google so I'll check them out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Regarding fire safety/fire extinguisher places, is there a specific way to phrase my request. Should I fib and tell them it's for another use, something more related to fire safety?

I was just thinking that maybe they would be less likely to help if it wasn't for an "approved" use.

I did come up with a few local hits via Google so I'll check them out.

Nah, just tell them you need to refill co2 bottle. They will probably ask if it's for consumption (beer,soda) but other than that no big deal. They 99% of time do hydro as well just for if you need in the future.

BTW : that bottle I showed you ran me about $38 shipped and comes with fresh hydro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.