The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working out the details for moving up to a 75-gallon tank and I've got three corydoras adolfi, four panda corys and one speckled in my 29-gallon tank now. I read something on the net about sand being a bad substrate for corys because it erodes their barbels. My first impression would be that corys love the sand. Is anybody keeping corys with a sand substrate and would like to commnet on that warning.

Any suggestions on the substrate other than soilmaster or sand would be welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Corys are best in sand. They dig and root, and kick it up everywhere...overnight it looks like I have "footprints" all over the bottom of the tank. Their barbels grow long and healthy. It is chipped, sharp gravel or rock that erodes the barbels.

·
Registered
803 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What on the bag at a hardware store should alert me that the sand is sharp? Maybe it's best to bring a magnifier and look at it, but that may be too simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.