The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
476 Posts
Most Amazonian fish or fish that come from lower ph area's can ajust to high ph tanks without a problem. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've had a blue phantom pleco in my african set up for over a year. I add salt and buffers to the water. Most south american catfish are pretty hardy as long as the water quality is good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think stability is indeed important, thats why i will wait atleast 2 months before i will add them.

I know it is to high but at least it is stable. When i start to add stuff to lower the ph the stability will most likely be gone.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
not really. depends on why the ph is high. my guess, your kh. CO3-- is a base; it lowers ph.
there are substrates out there that lower kh, like aquasoil amazonia. if you used that in your tank, the kh would likely be 2-3, with a ph around 7, for as long as the AS has buffering capacity (usually 1-2 years in my tanks). and the increase would be very very slow, a month at least.
or if you were to add sulfuric acid, you would not alter the kh, but just drop the ph, and it would be pretty steady too.
most fish can adapt to hard water with no problem. but 8 is very high ph. ive never had a ph that high so i cant say if it will be a problem or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts