The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there this my first post here I’m new in keeping sensitive fish like cory any tips
In how to treat funges and ick i have ich x + aquarium salt + general cure

Some say dose half other say full dose I’m confused

The small white cloudy patch on top of the body fish as shown in the pic also i noticed little ich on the body on two of them

Tank has been setup two weeks (75g) with old filter from my small tank (20g) and big new canister filter
Tank stock = 3 cory + 6 danio + 5 amano shrimp

All water parameters are ok
30 % weekly water change
Tropica specilized fertilizer
Substrate pool sand filter 20#

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Can you post ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate levels? "All parameters okay" is not helpful.
Ich requires the Ich-X or a med thats active ingredient is malachite green. There is no need for the General Cure- none of its active ingredients ( metronidazole and praziquantel) will help with fungus or Ich.
Fungus is a byproduct of bacteria. This bacteria can be caused by many things from something as simple as rough handling from netting and transport, to a columnaris infection. A fish will exhibit other symptoms to let you know how serious the issue is. If the fish is lethargic, not eating, hiding, then its more serious and antibiotics are often needed. If the fish is eating, active, and no signs of redness around area, it may just be a surface wound/scale injury that will heal on its own.

I would treat with the Ich X at full recommended strength, with no salt or General Cure. Ive treated corydoras with malachite green blends for years at full strength and they respond just fine. I think people get confused and think corydoras are scaleless fish-- they are not-- they are armored cats. The bonus with the RID X with malachite green and formalin is that it not only kills ich but works as an antifungal and antibacterial.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate levels? "All parameters okay" is not helpful.
Ich requires the Ich-X or a med thats active ingredient is malachite green. There is no need for the General Cure- none of its active ingredients ( metronidazole and praziquantel) will help with fungus or Ich.
Fungus is a byproduct of bacteria. This bacteria can be caused by many things from something as simple as rough handling from netting and transport, to a columnaris infection. A fish will exhibit other symptoms to let you know how serious the issue is. If the fish is lethargic, not eating, hiding, then its more serious and antibiotics are often needed. If the fish is eating, active, and no signs of redness around area, it may just be a surface wound/scale injury that will heal on its own.

I would treat with the Ich X at full recommended strength, with no salt or General Cure. Ive treated corydoras with malachite green blends for years at full strength and they respond just fine. I think people get confused and think corydoras are scaleless fish-- they are not-- they are armored cats. The bonus with the RID X with malachite green and formalin is that it not only kills ich but works as an antifungal and antibacterial.
Hi I appreciate you’re help so much thanks a lot for the detailed response

ammonia 0 ( yellow on api test kit )
Nitrites = 0
Nitrate = between 10 and less then 20

and yes all the cory fish are active and eating
And no redness around the cloudy patch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i dosed for 5 days ich x i followed the directions on the bottle i see no more ich fish acting healthy i lost one danio though

The white patch on his head now is very small
But the other one looking a little pale idk if his sick or not they are all in quarantine tank 20g - daily water change 20%

Main tank has been empty two weeks only shrimp there i assume its ick free at the stage or should i wait another week tank temp 25c ?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
So i dosed for 5 days ich x i followed the directions on the bottle i see no more ich fish acting healthy i lost one danio though

The white patch on his head now is very small
But the other one looking a little pale idk if his sick or not they are all in quarantine tank 20g - daily water change 20%

Main tank has been empty two weeks only shrimp there i assume its ick free at the stage or should i wait another week tank temp 25c ?
The lifecycle of the Ich parasite is 7-10 days at temps above 70 degrees. You are fine to add the fish back to the main tank.
Sometimes fish will get Ich and their immunity will lower and they will get a secondary condition . Or, if weak, it will take them longer to recover. Is the fish that is pale still eating?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lifecycle of the Ich parasite is 7-10 days at temps above 70 degrees. You are fine to add the fish back to the main tank.
Sometimes fish will get Ich and their immunity will lower and they will get a secondary condition . Or, if weak, it will take them longer to recover. Is the fish that is pale still eating?
Yeah all of them are eating better then before the pale one looked much better today I’m feeding them twice a day just to give them better recovery since when i was dosing the water with medicine i fed them only once

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.