The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Recently my corydoras have bred (not sure what species), and I now have a decent group of 17 day old fry. However 3 days ago they spawned again and the fry have just hatched. I have them placed in a breeder box with the older fry for now. My question is, can I put the new fry with the older fry in the grow out tank? Would that be safe? Or should I try to keep them separate? If so, how long until they can be together, if at all?

Thank you!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cool! I've got a tank with 7 corys in it that I have been hoping would spawn. Got any tips on how you made that happen?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I highly doubt cory fry with that little of a size difference pose any threat to each other. Just be sure they all get food, and it should be fine. Cories aren't aggressive, or very good at attacking anything.
Thank you!

Bump:
Yes, please sure your tank parameters and overall info about your setup.
The tank they spawned in is a standard 55 gallon with a cycled sunsun 303-b canister filter. Temp stays between 76-80F.
It's only lightly planted with dwarf sag, substrate is pool filter sand.
I have 2 emerald cories, 2 panda cories, 2 salt & pepper cories, and one mystery cory. There are also ember tetras in the tank.

The fry are in a 17 gallon tote with a cycled sponge filter and heater.

(as a note as soon as these fry are big enough to go in the main tank I'm going to get rid of the other cory species and just have a solid school.)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Congrats on the babies!
I have asked this same question and didn't get any good responses. I was asking how old of a juvenile Cory (3, 4, 5 weeks? 2 months?) or even if a full grown adult Corydora could be kept with day old newborn fry. (Adult corys will eat eggs, but not sure about fry)

While I haven't gotten a answer for older Corydoras, I did keep 2.5 week (17 day olds like yours) fry with one day old newborn fry and they didn't eat the newborns.

I also released about 3.5 week old Corydoras babies into my community tank with adult Rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras, rasbora espei, and adult Corydoras and they don't get eaten. I'd say maybe when the head gets big as the other fish's mouth, they should be safe.

Maybe asking more experienced Corydora breeders and/or on a catfish dedicated forum (PlantCatfish) will give us the answers we are looking for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Each day something different? So two times a week they are getting frozen foods?
I always combine the NLS and the New Era, and I often mix the frozen food together as well(blood worms and brine shrimp together). Most weeks they get three days of frozen food, two days of pellets, and the other two days are random. Sometimes I also feed the New era pellets with the frozen food too.
Also forgot to mention the brine shrimp are spirulina enriched.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have noticed Corydoras Paleatus and C. Aeneus breed a lot more and easier than other species. Most of the time with nothing special done.

Be sure to check for eggs often. They can lay eggs every few minutes and for days at a time.

But in general regards to breeding, many say to feed high protein foods (45%+, like bloodworms for example) for a week or two to condition them for breeding, and also do large water changes (even keep water levels lower/shallow) and adding new cooler water to trigger spawning. Hormones can also trigger spawning.

For me, I actually found warmer water (summer heat) has triggered spawning.

Just a word though, with the mix of Corydoras, people will tell you to keep all the fry because they might be hybrids and people don't want hybrids being circled around and messing up natural species.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats on the babies!
I have asked this same question and didn't get any good responses. I was asking how old of a juvenile Cory (3, 4, 5 weeks? 2 months?) or even if a full grown adult Corydora could be kept with day old newborn fry. (Adult corys will eat eggs, but not sure about fry)

While I haven't gotten a answer for older Corydoras, I did keep 2.5 week (17 day olds like yours) fry with one day old newborn fry and they didn't eat the newborns.

I also released about 3.5 week old Corydoras babies into my community tank with adult Rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras, rasbora espei, and adult Corydoras and they don't get eaten. I'd say maybe when the head gets big as the other fish's mouth, they should be safe.

Maybe asking more experienced Corydora breeders and/or on a catfish dedicated forum (PlantCatfish) will give us the answers we are looking for.
Congrats on your babies!!!
Thank you for the info, I was also wondering about when they would be safe with adults as well! I think I am going to go ahead and release the new fry with my older fry :)

And I agree, I have been looking at that forum as well but I hadn't posted any questions yet. I think these babies have made me a little cory crazy because I want so many species now hahaha.

Bump:
I have noticed Corydoras Paleatus and C. Aeneus breed a lot more and easier than other species. Most of the time with nothing special done.

Be sure to check for eggs often. They can lay eggs every few minutes and for days at a time.

But in general regards to breeding, many say to feed high protein foods (45%+, like bloodworms for example) for a week or two to condition them for breeding, and also do large water changes (even keep water levels lower/shallow) and adding new cooler water to trigger spawning. Hormones can also trigger spawning.

For me, I actually found warmer water (summer heat) has triggered spawning.

Just a word though, with the mix of Corydoras, people will tell you to keep all the fry because they might be hybrids and people don't want hybrids being circled around and messing up natural species.
Yes, thank you for the info!
And I had no idea that there could be hybrids o:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cool! I've got a tank with 7 corys in it that I have been hoping would spawn. Got any tips on how you made that happen?
Do constant water changes and make the water cooler. Also feed them varies food of frozen blood worms and some sinking wafers. The cooler water and fatten them up will engage them to spawn.

I was able to spawn my Panda Cories periodically.

·
Registered
280 Posts
With my C. aeneus in my 45 heavily planted, I feed a diet similar to tick tack. I do about 30% water change weekly. I've noticed if I skip a week on the wc, feed heavy on frozen brine, then do about a 50% wc, there will be eggs all over everything for the next two or three days.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I can usually induce a spawn in my tank if I haven't seen one in a while by doing a large water change and dumping ice in the bucket to chill the water. Keep in mind that it takes time for the females to produce the eggs so you can't just do this every week and expect eggs.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
How are they fry doing?

My peppered Cory's just spawned for me. I was able to collect alot of the eggs out of my community tank and have them in a breeder net. Hopefully they will hatch :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts