The Planted Tank Forum banner

Corydoras and black diamond blasting sand

889 7
has anyone ever kept corys in a tank with black diamond blasting sand as the substrate? i’m considering giving it a shot but i’m worried that it will hurt the corys.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have them on BDBS for years with no problems. I know some say it hurts their barbels, but I have not seen it. I keep them on BDBS mixed with pool filter sand too with no issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I’ve got 24 corydoras of three different species (C. panda, aeneus, paleatus) that live in a 75 with BDBS.

Constantly looking for food, playing, mating and spawning. No loss of barbels. By my estimation, they are all quite healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you read online about concerns of bottom-feeders and sand-blasting sand, it's usually by people who haven't actually tried it. :p

Sand blasting sand doesn't have sharp corners or edges. If it did it would create way too much dust on impact to be manageable or safe (found this out from a guy who works with the stuff).

I have never had a problem with it and either my Corydoras or even my Clown Loaches. :)

EDIT: I do have the Black Diamond sand. Think it's wonderful stuff, but make sure you get the "Medium/Course" Grade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have young big cories and pygmy cories on mine, but I will say that it feels extremely soft on my fingers. It's the softest thing possible I imagine besides a bare bottom. I love it because they can sift in it and the sand/water stays very clean.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The other good thing about it is that the "medium" size is small enough to be easily sifted by the fish but heavy enough to not end up in the water column. Which is good if you care about the longevity of your filtration, etc.

·
Administrator
17,865 Posts
The myth of sharp substrates being bad for Corydoras is just that - a myth. It stems from about 16-17 years ago when Cories hit a popularity peak.

Reality? Pretty much every issue involving barbel damage involved poor tank husbandry and questionable water parameters. Basically unclean, less than ideal living conditions. And sometimes some uncycled tanks. There were even some wild claims about Turface being problematic (it wasn't) back then. There have been a couple issues here and there that could potentially be related to sharp substrates. But I can't remember more than a couple out of a hundred or so others here on the forum.

All it took was a couple random "expert" websites (that no longer exist) to publish a couple poorly researched stories and, bam, the myth took off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts