The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently saw that one of my Corydoras has a weird tan growth on it and would like to know how to remedy it. None of the other 5 Corys in this tank exhibit this issue. Thank you for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
What are your water parameters? ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?
When was tank cycled? How long set up?
Tank size? Other fish?
Is the fish eating?
By picture it looks like a bacterial/fungal infection. The fish also has frayed fins and excess mucus. It looks pretty unhappy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, both of those (ammonia, nitrite) according to the API strips are at 0. pH is between 7.0 and 7.5, no CO2, temp is 74-75.

I agree this little cat looks unhappy, I am hoping to figure out how to help them here, thank you for the help!

The tank has been running for ~3 months now and has been getting weekly water changes. The total tank size is 20 gallons, heavily planted. There are 5 other pepper corys, some kuhli loaches, a dwarf gourami, and some oto cats. Everyone else seems healthy and happy currently, as far as I can tell. There have been no deaths in this tank since it was stocked either. It seems to be doing well.

I have malafix on hand, and pimafix and aquarium salts arriving later today.

Could it be a mechanical injury? I did change out the filter inlet and outlets and its pushing more flow, I did see some of the fish learn the hard way where the new flow was, could he have been swept into hardscape and gotten injured? I am relatively new to fishkeeping so I do not know what these things look like yet.

Thanks again-

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
No, doubt very highly it is mechanical injury. Corydoras actually like a high flow-- you will often see them "ride" the current from filter .

I would recommend getting water parameter tests that are liquid: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. They are much more accurate than the strips.
Try the Pimafix and Melafix on fish if fish is still eating. But, these are just antibacterials and antifungals-- mild ones at that. Your fish looks like it is beyond the stage of mild treatments being successful. But, give it a try. Also, make sure water is pristine. If possible, do daily water changes in hospital tank and follow dosage directions on back of packaging of any meds used.

Don't use the salt. It is not the go to treatment for corydoras like it can be for other fish. It will just cause further stress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice! It seems like there is always a lot to learn in fishkeeping. I have seen some of them seem to enjoy the new current, their behaviors are very interesting.

Which medicine should I try in the hospital tank? I have heard mixed things about salts and corys so I was reluctant to try it, but I do have it. Not opposed to ordering other meds too, whatever can help the fish is necessary. I really don't want to lose them.

Which test kit manufacturer do you recommend? I am partial to aquarium co-op products and api products.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I just watched him forage with the other cats for a bit, and he nibbled something. He seems to be acting relatively normal. I will watch him more today and see if he is lethargic. I want to say he has been slightly lethargic but they all also rest occasionally so I don't know if he's resting more or less than usual yet.

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
Yes I just watched him forage with the other cats for a bit, and he nibbled something. He seems to be acting relatively normal. I will watch him more today and see if he is lethargic. I want to say he has been slightly lethargic but they all also rest occasionally so I don't know if he's resting more or less than usual yet.
Thats very good, that means whatever is going on hasn't gone internal.

Thats very good, that means whatever is going on hasn't gone internal.

PS: Try the meds you already purchased. if they don't appear to be working than would recommend API Furan 2- active ingredient nitrofurazone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to ask if it is a stupid question, but can both be used at the same time? The hospital tank I have is a 5 gallon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts