The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 gallon tank setup with lots of driftwood and a thick vegetative mass of floating plants. I created this tank specifically for a group of Sterbai Corydora that I had hoped would feel more comfortable in a more natural setting and perhaps breed. I have 9 cories in this tank with about 5 ghost shrimp, 3 ottos, and an albino bristlenose pleco. There is lots of driftwood cover but no caves.

I have noticed that the cories are extremely shy and hide under the wood whenever I try to view them. The ottos never come out from where they hang under the driftwood. The bristlenose is quite active and the only fish that doesn't mind me peering through the glass.

I am wondering about other people's experience with cories, have they been extremely timid or have you had more active fish? Mine seem perfectly healthy and have vivid coloring but they don't let me see them which is a bit disappointing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Diana. I still have hopes that they will breed at some point and I don't really want to add any other fish that might antagonize the cories or eat any eggs.

Does adding more fish really increase the activity of the more docile fish varieties?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Thanks Diana. I still have hopes that they will breed at some point and I don't really want to add any other fish that might antagonize the cories or eat any eggs.

Does adding more fish really increase the activity of the more docile fish varieties?
As I've grown my school of Bloodfins I've noticed that my Congos, Rams, and Corys are substantially more active. I agree 100% with Diana

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also, how long have you had them? I have about 24, well more if you include pygmy and habsarosas. Even after almost 3 years in a 55 gallon that rarely gets disturbed they will all freeze if anything goes by the tank.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had the tank running for 5 months now. I started the tank with only the corydoras and ottos in there. I added the shrimp later to try and help keep things cleaned up and only recently added the pleco (last few weeks). My idea was to recreate the corydora's environment (Amazon biotope) as closely as I could. It is black sand with Manzanita driftwood and minimal plants. I'll add a picture.

The tank sits in the corner of a room so it is not passed by directly when moving around my house. That could be part of it...

Since the consensus seems to be adding a more active fish variety will create a more active environment, I could give that a try. What suggestions would you have for an Amazon River native? Should I just grab a group of tetras from the store?

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have 7 bronze cories in my 29 gallon tank, and they come out of hiding whenever I'm in the room. Their tankmates are 2 BN plecos, 1 neon tetra (his 10 friends all died over time), and 2 female guppies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
First off I love your tank. I wish I could have it and then it would be home to a couple of African Butterfly Fish. Yeah I agree Bristle nose plecs are very active eating tannins and algae and left over catfish pellets. I've recently gave both of mine away to the LFS because they make so much waste. How about you mix up the corys diet? You could try bloodworm pellets. When I've had bronze corys in the past they have been near all ways on the move going back and forth at the front of the tank. Could try some Indian almond leaves, corys rome around in leaf litter in the wild. Any way good things happen in time so some cory love making is bound to happen sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I like how you have the tank setup. The wood looks cool. You should check out the different tetras to see what you like. There are alot of really cool ones. There are also cherry barbs that look great in a planted tank. My favorite are Bloodfins and Rummynose. I think you would really enjoy the dynamic they create

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off I love your tank. I wish I could have it and then it would be home to a couple of African Butterfly Fish.
Thanks for the compliment. I had to look up African Butterfly Fish because I'd never heard of it. That is one strange looking fish.

I'm on the fence about what to do. I'd like to try adding more active fish to see if that has an effect on the cories, but I don't really want to add another species to the tank. I almost want to add more cories to see if a greater number makes them more active. Then again if they actually start mating I'll have more anyways...

I don't know if it's the right decision but I think I'm going to buy a couple more Sterbais.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So... I found a solution to the low energy corydoras.

The light I had been using had a mechanical issue and I switched to my backup light. The backup light is way dimmer and the fish love that. Apparently I had been blasting them with way too much light the whole time I had my tank setup. Now they are out from under the wood much more often and they roam around the tank - still skittish as hell but at least they are out.

Using this low level light my plants are probably not going to grow as huge as they were before or as fast either but that's okay. Honestly, I was filling five gallons buckets with extra plants every couple of weeks.

I never did buy any new fish. Now I think I might wait a while and see how the tank dynamic works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts