The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among other fish in my tank I had 5 corys - 3 peppered and 2 pandas, which have recently started dying.

The first peppered cory died about a week ago after living in the tank just fine for the past 6 months since I got them. None of the other fish in the tank showed any signs of any distress / disease whatsoever, and my water parameters never changed, so I chalked it up to receiving an old cory from my LFS, and it probably died of old age (he was the largest of all my corys).

Then today I was cleaning my tank and I noticed another peppered cory had died. I'm not sure exactly when, it had been scavenged a bit before I found it. My corys tend to like to rest under my driftwood and whatnot. But this got me worried, so I took it out of the tank and inspected the rest of my fish. I then noticed that one of my 2 panda corys has two weird white patches on it, so I immediately took it out of the tank and it is currently in "quarantine" (I have no qt tank, he is in a makeshift fishbowl at the moment).

Anyways, I'm wondering if these white patches are some sort of disease my corys have contracted, which I am only noticing now? Maybe the peppered corys both died from the same thing? Please help! Here is a picture of what it looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Can you get more pictures of the infected site?
Just want to be more certain of what I am looking at since the glass bowl may be distorting the infection site.

Are you referring to that white circle on the corys face? (not sure if thats on the glass or the cory)
Is that also 2 white patches on the base of the panda's tail (peduncle)?
Can you describe it, does it look fuzzy/cottony, it is protruding from the fish's face, or does it look like it is on the skin, in or under the skin.
Any other fish showing symptoms?

Mention all your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature)
How is your water surface agitation and circulation?

Corydoras can live quite a long time and can get fairly large (especially Peppered corys), so I doubt they died from old age.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it is the patch around its face and also the patch near the tail. The affected areas look "fuzzy" and white, and are slightly raised when I look at it from above. No other fish are affected at the moment.

Parameters: ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrates = 20-30, pH = 7.6, temp. = 76.

I do have some surface agitation, my filter output is fairly close to the surface and produces some turbulence. Also I run a small air pump through an air stone.

For circulation I have a fluval 404 canister that puts out a little over 300gph, and I also have a sunsun 528 powerhead that probably puts out about the same or a little more.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would treat with Tetra Fungus guard Tablets, they are actually quite broad range in things they deal with.
It is a four day treatment. You can repeat it if all the fish are not well after, failing that you can use tetra lifeguard. But I think the FG will sort you out quickly.

Alternatively you could look for Tetra Medica Fungistop, which is colloidal silver based. Coilloidal silver is the ointment of choice in my house for the humans too. Most of these treatments are around the $5 mark.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
So it sounds like "Fungus" (often times actually bacterial, not fungal).
If I saw other pics/angles, I might be able to confirm or deny. Basically it looks like fuzz/hairy tufts. Looks up "fish fungus" or "saprolegnia fish" pics on google.

I would highly suggest using Kordon Rid Fungus (or you can use Kordon Ich Attack *NOT Rid Ich*, has the same ingredients so it can treat the same despite the name).
It is extremely gentle on fish and is safe for inverts and plants. Put the cory back in the main tank and treat the whole main tank.

Highly recommend getting the med right away to treat ASAP, as if you wait too long and the infection spreads, the cory can die, especially the fungus being located near it's gill.
Treat with the recommended dose daily, if it doesn't seem to be curing fast enough or the infection as spread to a severe state, double the dosage as instructed.

API Pimafix may also work for mild-moderate infections, but I'd still recommend Rid Fungus over that.

If for some reason Rid Fungus/Ich Attack does not work (it should), then I might suggest stepping up to trying Methylene Blue dips (uses a separate container), if not try Seachem Paraguard. Then if for some reason those don't work out or if the disease was misdiagnosed, you may need a antimicrobial/antibiotic. But I really really recommend using Kordon Rid Fungus/Ich Attack as they are the safest/gentlist and should work. Just mentioned the other meds if for some reason they don't work out or the others aren't available in your area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm heading out to the LFS this morning to pick some meds up. Fingers crossed!

I'll try and post an update later this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.