The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 hours ago I went to bed to 4 happy healthy cories... I woke up to one of them on its side gasping in a corner. He is still doing it now. His eyes are clear. Anyone know what could be wrong.... I did a water change about 2 days ago along with switching to a new filter. I don't dose anything or have CO2 for this tank.. Its my fishpoop only tank.. working out well actually...
Is he just doomed... Anything I can do to fix him?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you transfer your old filter media into the new one? If not, then he's probably suffering from ammonia from the tank having to re cycle.
Yes I did... Should I add some prime and do a waterchange just in case?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes I did... Should I add some prime and do a waterchange just in case?
Water change wouldn't hurt but it most-likely won't help. You got a master test kit? If so test the parameters and post them it always helps if people know a little about your water chemistry. If your don't have a kit just do a water change anyway 10-20%. What is the temp in the aquarium, how long has it been established, have you added any new tank-mates that could be harassing the Cory, how long have you had him? Information like that are helpful in these situations hopefully the Cory will be fine.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water change wouldn't hurt but it most-likely won't help. You got a master test kit? If so test the parameters and post them it always helps if people know a little about your water chemistry. If your don't have a kit just do a water change anyway 10-20%. What is the temp in the aquarium, how long has it been established, have you added any new tank-mates that could be harassing the Cory, how long have you had him? Information like that are helpful in these situations hopefully the Cory will be fine.
Been up and running about 5 months... My test kit ran out about a week ago.. And my LFS doesnt get them till tuesday. Will do a water change... Temp is 80. Other tank mates include guppies, which have never harassed anyone.. Other corydoras. And an oto which was introduced about 4 days ago. I've had him for 4 months....

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Do you run an airstone? If not you definitely should as that temp is pretty hot for them and it also lowers the dissolved oxygen in the water by a good margin, cory's don't need it over 78.. I don't use a Heater as my house stays around 70 degrees which means the tank stays around 64-76 which is perfect for them and most tropical fish. It's only cichlids and discus and reefers that need it near that warm.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you run an airstone? If not you definitely should as that temp is pretty hot for them and it also lowers the dissolved oxygen in the water by a good margin, cory's don't need it over 78.. I don't use a Heater as my house stays around 70 degrees which means the tank stays around 64-76 which is perfect for them and most tropical fish. It's only cichlids and discus and reefers that need it near that warm.
I run an airstone 24/7 because of how hot it is. I don't own a heater because of how warm it is. The water stays at about 80 most days... occasionally it reaches a little higher. I went to petsmart to get a water check... All the levels are normal... And now that I'm back the cory is just missing...

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I don't think mid 60s to low 70s is perfect for "most" tropical fish. That certainly seems rather cold and there is definitely other fish which really need warmer temps.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He ended up kicking the bucket a few hours later. Keeping my eye on everybody else, but no one seems unusual, but neither did he before he died. We will see.... Anyone know of a place I can buy two leopard cories? I want to get my school up to 5 and can only find them sold as schools..

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I don't think mid 60s to low 70s is perfect for "most" tropical fish. That certainly seems rather cold and there is definitely other fish which really need warmer temps.
Eh, perhaps i should have worded that better, but cory's, harlequin rasboras, tetras, and guppies don't need it 78+ degrees in the tank. They breed all the time for me and I've never had a loss so I'm pretty sure it's perfect for them being in high 60's to mid 70's...

--

Really sucks he passed away though :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.