The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I added 3 bronze corys to my tank last Friday. They all did very well and adjusted well. However this afternoon when I got home i noticed one of the corys looked twisted dead in my Amazon swords. I got the net to fish him out but only to have him dart out of the vegetation. Surprised i put the net away and continued to toke my power head out to clean the filter. After reinstalling my power head i noticed one cory swimming very unhealthy with one eye missing and what looks like head trauma.(don't think he is gonna make it)
The wound is very red and i can see skin damage all the way to the crown of its head.
Could it have been sucked out by another fish? Or can they inflict this much damage to themselves by swimming into a rock?

I have a lot of quartz in my tank with the odd pointy end here and there.
Tank mates are:
2x bronze corys
2x otto's
2x ballon electric blue RAM's
2x lemon tettras
3x red eye tetras
1x zebra loach

Could it be any of them?

Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Probably your loach. They're known to attack the eyes of other fish, especially if kept alone.
Also, your fish (excluding the rams) are all schooling fish that need more of their own kind. Your lemon and redeye tetras in particular are species that can get a bit aggressive if not kept in large enough groups.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanx Betta132
I have also read that about the loach tonight.

I am aware that most of the fish in my tank are schooling fish.
My problem is this.
I only have a 10g (50l) tank. And when i started it out a year ago i had little knowledge about keeping fish happy.

Now i just try to group them in schools as they die or get new homes.

What would you suggest? Which fish should go and which should stay and what would be good replacements. Considering my setup.

Thats what its like

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Unfortunately, just about all of your fish need a larger tank than that, or will when they grow to full size. Your otos should be alright, but you need at least one more.
In a tank that size, your best bet is two schools of tiny fish. I'd suggest 6 neon, glowlight, or similar tetras, and you should probably replace the cories with 6ish pygmy cories. You can also get a single centerpiece like a dwarf gourami or a female betta.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Unfortunately, just about all of your fish need a larger tank than that, or will when they grow to full size. Your otos should be alright, but you need at least one more.
In a tank that size, your best bet is two schools of tiny fish. I'd suggest 6 neon, glowlight, or similar tetras, and you should probably replace the cories with 6ish pygmy cories. You can also get a single centerpiece like a dwarf gourami or a female betta.
I found it interesting in my tank, the gowlights and danios school at different levels. danio, surface to middle, glow lights, bottom to middle. That being said I don't generally like keeping barbs and tetras together. I am expanding the lines I am breeding, so a have a small school I am experimenting with. I can get them to spawn but have some fertilising issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.