The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of albino corys to test in my 5G nano a couple years ago, forgetting how large they can get. One didn’t make it past 5 month after jumping out. The other one has always been active but I always felt terrible it didn’t have company. Three weeks ago, I caved and brought home a little wee green guy as companion. I’m planning to get a 20g soon, so I figured they’ll go there and I’ll add another few then. Around the same time, I’ve noticed the albinos abdomen swelling a bit and was nervous it had some condition. This morning it was acting weird “humping” the side of the tank. I rolled my eyes and went to work at my desk. Taking a lunch break, I see this. Now I understand what that condition was! 😱 I’m totally unprepared for what to do next. I’ve never bred egg-bearers other than my neos. I assume my little green guy fertilized them? Should I try to do something with the eggs and hatch them or even bother if they will be a hybrid? I’ve got so many questions about whether to proceed before even think of how to proceed! Any opinions/thoughts? Here’s a photo of Mama and eggs. She’s been very active all afternoon!
Jeffrey-an unexpected fishbreeder
PS My apologies to those who have purposely tried and could never get theirs to do what mine have done without any effort! 😕
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Fish supply

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
oh man. I personally would let it ride. Unless you just do not want to deal with the fry. if you have other fish in there nature will likely take it's course with most if not all the fry anyway. I let my angels just do their thing 2x now. This time I think I have or will have by the time they are ready a tank for them to move to to be alone. otherwise the other male angels attack all day and night and the pleco inevitably eats the eggs at night.

otherwise yeah, another tank... looking into selling them... it can be a lot! most LFS will take them at credit, usually about 1/3 sale price. if they are freaks of nature... idk, there's probably someone that will want them. maybe it will just be a mixture of albinos and greens. no actual mutants so to speak.

oh maybe she was just getting egg bound and there being another there let her get that going and they may not even be fertilized depending on how small the new guys is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: she laid some more yesterday afternoon! Aaronious, I have three gold tetras I bought last week from my Petco because I’ve never seen them before (and they only had three left). I thought they’d stand out in this jungle-like, black(ish)water nano tank. They do when they swim out from the plants, they’re stunning. They’re the only fish besides the two cories.

After this panicked post, I started searching other posts here. One mentioned not letting them be in a tank until older as the water pressure will kill them. So how do the survive on the wild then? Should I buy a breeder box, though this 5G cube does have much room for one. How long before they hatch? I swear the dark spot in the eggs are moving which is quite exciting! And I guess I need to get special food for them? I had months of free time the past year and now this occurs when I’m actually busy. 😂 Such is life...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I'm seeing a brown sheen/coating developing on the eggs. Is this a fungus or algae? Will this just destroy the eggs? It would be a shame. If there’s a way to save them, any advise along with the questions above?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
sorry, generally I would google how to move the eggs safely. Or what I am doing is I have learned the sign and I now watch for this, each fish is different. Then I am going to move my angels for example over to spawn and then back out after a few weeks probably. Other fish you will want them to spawn and then immediately pull them. Likewise some fish eggs will hatch in days, others in weeks.

I noticed what I think were Cory eggs in my 75 and if I see this again I am going to move them to my shrimp tank. that's all that is in there so they will be safe until they hatch.

All said and done, you've got an environment they like and will more than likely do it again if this round doesn't work out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.