The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 bronze corries and 3 albino cories in a 10 gallon tank with a bass.

I was just wondering how long it takes for them to mature, because if they are going to start breeding, than i will have to take out my bass.

I was also wondering the breeding details. Like how big they will end up fully matured, were do they like to breed? (currently have a small flower pot and a big flower pot) do they need Plants?

Also.. Breeding behaviors, i dont want to have to worry because my cories are doing something they normally would but i dont know it.

Maybe also the color of eggs and any other questions, comments, or concernes will be greatly appreciated

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Your tank is pretty overstocked, or will be very soon. What are your plans for the bass?

You will have better luck breeding cories in a bigger tank, as your adults will be around 3" and you probably need a handful more to make sure you have enough of both sexes. A 20L would be a good size.

Here's a pretty good writeup on breeding, including lots of egg pictures: http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish, Corydoras.htm

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thanks, and people say 1 fish per gallon. So i have had this tank for a while so the bioload isnt bad... I will probobly move my cories to my 30 gallon and give my bass to my friend, who has had lots of experience raising Largemouth bass.

Also, thanks a lot for the link, very much appreciated...

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If the tank is heavily planted you should definitely be fine and not overstocked, but as soon as they breed you'll have more than you know what to do with and definitely too many for the 10g alone. That would be better served just for the Cory fry themselves.

But that's *if* your cory's breed. They can live quite a long time and require certain things to make them spawn. I have 4 bronze cory's and 2 peppered for a year now and nothing :(

Good luck though getting them to! if they do, you'll have to pm me what you did to cause it lol ^^

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh thanks... So i should move my cories asap?
I would move the bass. You're not going to be able to keep it in there too long anyway. If the albinos are C aeneus chances are you have both sexes. If you stayed on top of water changes you could add a couple more. Feed them good, do a water changes with some cool water. This likely will trigger them to spawn.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for the advice.. I think i will do what you said sdm, and if i do get any results i will pm anyone who was wondering. I will most likely take pics, check water temp and tell you anything else you were wanting to know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cory cats

You would be amazed at what a small large mouth bass can swallow! I think your cories are in danger and would move either them or the bass right away. My friend had a tank with some juvenile large mouth bass and put a gold fish in. The gold fish was just a little smaller than the bass and as soon as she put him in he got ate. Large mouth bass are predators.

·
Registered
167 Posts
um.. the bass will get larger than the 10 gallon tank by itself. put it back, now. it's pretty much the equivalent of tying you dogs collar right to the ground.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

You guys can chill, i just moved my cories into my 30 gallon planted tank!!
Thats the good news

The bad news is...
My albino cory died alittle after i put him in
He was kinda curious and went into my rena smart heter, thus getting wedged, stuck and then coocked to death... :'(
So much for my heater being smart...

Do you guys think that i can just put a sponge in the opening at the top so this doesnt happen again?

Please reply. Any other questions comments or concerns will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!!

i just got some awesome stuff for my 30 gallon...

java moss, which i am attaching to a rock.

this one sword i forgot the name of

nerite snails, 2 of them

6 small neon tetras

that's it, and i also have my diy co2 generator and i bought a diffuser, so if you want to find out how to make one than check my threads and find the "how to make your own co2 generator," that will have a youtube link and you can watch it...

any questions, comments, concerns, opinions or just to talk about something, you can just post here

Attachments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My cories bred for the second time and this time I was able to scrape off the eggs and put them in a breeder net to confirm. Have 7 baby cories now that are about a 1/4" long ^^

Still hard to say exactly what caused it though. I have had these for cories for about 10 months though and they didn't start until a month or so ago. They laid eggs right after I put them back in the tank from a long ~6hr stay in a styrofoam cooler with nothing but an airstone because I was completely rescaping the tank. I think the last time this happened was after I topped off the tank with 3 or so gallons of RO water instead of normal tap conditioned water like I usually do.

I did buy some blackwater extract awhile ago and have been using that as directed. Have pressurized co2 thats keeping the ph around 6.4, otherwise it's 7. gh/kh~6, feeding with Kens bottom dweller growth mix, super color+, and veggie sticks w/calcium. Dosing ferts ei style and have a sand substrate. Don't run a heater, temp stays between 68 at night and 76 max during the day.

They definitely seem happy and are always swimming around or digging in the sand. I can't say I've noticed a big difference or anything with the backwater extract.. But I can say the fish dont ever look like they're NOT happy since I've been using it. So I guess that's something.

Hopefully that info helps :)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I found 2 tiny Peppered cory babies in my 100 gallon tank at Christmas time which are now an inch long. I think it helps if you can feed some live food too. My corys get some Grindal worms on a regular basis. I always have corys in the tank but the live worms are a recent addition to the diet and these the very first babies I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Confirmed, tank has been run on tap with gh/kh ~6 ph around ~6.5 due to co2. I top off with 3 or so gallons of RO water and the next day to three days there's eggs on the glass. I'm up to 6 baby peppered cories about 1/4" long, 3 more 2 day old fry, and 11 more eggs on the glass I need to scrape off and put in the breeder net ;)

Still using that backwater extract, but still not sure it helps or not, all I know is this is the third consecutive egg laying I've been able to produce. Topping off with regular tap as usual with the backwater extract never caused it, just the RO.

Water used is all at room temperature, I really think it's the drop in TDS in the new water that matters, kinda like spring rains in the rainforest that causes them to spawn naturally ^^

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.