The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently dropped a couple swords into my tank along with some cory cats. I have a 120 gallon short aquarium with a sump and a Finnex planted+ 48". Just got the water tested a couple days ago and my ph was around 8. Everything else was fine. I also have a pleco that used to be more yellow/black and now is kind of faded yellow. Two of my five cory cats are doing just fine, 3 of them are hiding under the driftwood and not moving. They're still alive just acting strange. Not eating or moving. Could this be the Ph level? Or is it my light? And whats going on with all this algae growing on my rocks/substrate? Is that a problem with my light?

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
One thing I noticed about my Panda cory's is that it took two purchases of 6 to get 6 that lived to be adults. The ones that didn't make it: I noticed they were out of proportion. The body section was smaller than the head. They lived 4 weeks or less, didn't move around much. They eat but did not vigorously move around the tank. My pH is 7.0

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with some of them not being as hardy as others. Seems like half of mine always die within two weeks. Sort of spendy little guys too

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Corydoras

Hello Bri...

Corys prefer a neutral pH of 7. Your pH is roughly 10 times more basic at 8 (higher mineral content). So, yes your Corys could be affected. About the only thing you can do is keep the tank water as clean as possible, feed them a balanced diet and hope your Corys are some of the hardier species.

B

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with some of them not being as hardy as others. Seems like half of mine always die within two weeks. Sort of spendy little guys too
I had the same issue with every school of corys I've bought from local LFS, half would die within days or on the way home. This was even after a 2+ hour slow drip acclimation.

I took a chance with an out of town breeder who taught me that they release a toxin when stressed. She described to me what she called the "kick the bucket" method she used before bagging and transporting/shipping. She would place them in a bucket, lightly kick it to stress them, change all the water after 15 minutes, and repeat this whole process once more before before bagging them. All 12 corys bought that day survived and are still alive now 6 months later.

I know that doesn't answer the OP's question, but just an FYI in case anyone (like me) didn't know about the "cory toxin" lol.

Interesting read on it: Self-Poisoning: A Damaging Defense Mechanism | RateMyFishTank.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
Learned something today. I didn't know about the toxin. Over time I have bought 3 sets of 6 from three different vendors and usually half die.

I'm down right now to three of the original six (they are the indestructible ones). I lost the others over time to accidents and mishaps.

Since they are pricey and expensive to ship, I've been hesitating to buy more. Now I'll go to Petsmart this time and make them 'Kick The Bucket' :laugh2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts