The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wat to feed to fatten up Cory catfish.

I am now feeding bloodworm to see if it help.. Want them nice and plump.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Tetra prime or tetra min crisps, both sink well. The prime is developed for discus and bottom feeders.
I use both, my cories are getting quite fat on it.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Why do you want to fatten them up? Gonna eat them?

Are they skinny from internal parasites and you are trying to get them to a healthy size?

Trying to get them to spawn?

Obese fish are the same as obese humans and animals, it's not healthy.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The only reason you would want to feed on the heavy side should be for breeding. Otherwise it's best to stick with high nutritional foods with a healthy feeding schedule.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Like said above, if they're abnormally this or you're conditioning them for breeding, heavy feeding with large large water changes is great (beef heart). But if not, then fit, lean (not thin or skinny) fish are healthier. The best foods for a normal diet are probably Omega One's shrimp pellets. Made just for cories.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I find corys from most of the small LFS around here always seem underfed.
Likely because they are kept in bare bottom tanks along with other fish that get all the food....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Want to get them big and fat..to see if they would breed. Been doing 50% wc with cooler water but nothing. Maybe too young.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Haha I see. Well they don't have to be fat :p

People typically can condition Corydoras to spawn by feeding them high protein foods, which Bloodworms can work. It may take up to 2 weeks of feeding. You can also trigger spawning with large water changes will cooler water (mentioned up to 10*F cooler water, but I wouldn't go that cold.

Another trick along with that is when doing the water change, leave the water level low for a while (I mean low, maybe just 3-5 inches of water depth, you can save the tank water in a bucket if you wish to re-add it rather than use all new freshwater). The low water level also can trigger spawning behavior in the corys.

There is also methods using natural hormonal methods, but those are more advanced and can be tricky.

Other than that, just the corys being happy in their environment is the best thing. If they are very happy with their lives, they will breed with no need to do anything special, not even conditioning with protein packed foods or cooler water changes. Larger groups can have them feel happier (yes, just a pair can breed, but large groups does make them happier, just as they are in nature).

But yeah, if they are too young, not matter what you do, they won't breed haha.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Shrimp pellet's as mentioned,and New life spectrum pellet for small fish are good staple diet .
Blood worm's, meh. Mostly moisture by content, and have been associated with health issues(internal parasites), not too hard to imagine considering where they come from and possible freeze/thaw during shipping.
Much better nutritious food's to be found.
Fishes do love the blood worm's though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts