The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cory Cat parasite? (photo)

1603 5
Hi!

My corys have been flashing a bit. I got them some medicated food because its safer for shrimp. I have been using it for 4 days & seems like the flashing has reduced, but its hard to tell since they don't do it that often.

I was snappin' pix of the aquarium & noticed there is something on this little guys face!

Is that a parasite or tank debris? Referring to the tiny white worm looking things on his face! I cant see it in person despite smushing my face on the glass for the last hour. :nerd:

Thoughts?!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Do you mean the part where the nostrils flare out, the long wiggly things at the tip of the nose (barbels) or something else? The first two are normal (not positive on the function of the former, I'd guess to sniff stuff out like the rest of us lol, the latter allow them to feel around in the substrate for food) and I don't see anything else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean the part where the nostrils flare out, the long wiggly things at the tip of the nose (barbels) or something else? The first two are normal (not positive on the function of the former, I'd guess to sniff stuff out like the rest of us lol, the latter allow them to feel around in the substrate for food) and I don't see anything else.

Hah, yep. I think the photo quality was degraded a little when I uploaded it. If you zoom in there are lots of little white things on his face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
Oh I see. I'm not sure what that is or if it's something to be worried about. I see lots of white specks (detritus worms or something, probably) all over the image and have a little trouble differentiating from the specks on the fish's face. I don't have a lot of time right now to investigate but if I were you, would look at a identification key to common fish diseases and parasites. Ich is the usual "white speck" culprit but I don't really think this looks like that at first glance. You could give the fish a dip in something like prazipro just to be safe, though that might stress it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.