The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I have two emerald cory cats (Brochis splendens) that I believe are a pair. One is slightly larger (the female?), and the fish seem quite content and are fed well. The breeding was unintentional, I just new the cats liked having friends so I got two. I noticed small eggs stuck to most surfaces of the tank; driftwood, plants, glass, rocks, heater, everything had them. At first I didnt know what it was, but a bit of research has led me to believe it is the catfish. The parents are not at all protective and appear to be oblivious that the eggs even exist... which matches the info I've found online thus far.

I have a 20gal high, and the only other livestock are 5 black neon tetas that stay up top 90% of the time, and two blood fin tetras that stay out of the cats way.

A few of the eggs got scraped off (on the glass), and I *think* I saw one of the blood fins pick at an egg on the wood once. as mentioned before, I didn't have any intentions of breeding the fish, and dont plan on doing anything to raise the fish. I figure any babies that do hatch will be short lived either by water current (Fluval 205), or become tasty snacks for the tetras, as I am assuming the fry will be small. I know some here may encourage more (any) effort on my part to raise them, but the circle-of-fishtank-life never offended me, and I also know that live foods are usually makes great food. Having a reef tank background, I look forward to having a small, living foodstuff available in my tank.

I know I didnt really ask anything here and kind of just rambled on, but I have never had cats (or any fish?) breed in my tank. In my reef days, my female peppermint shrimp always had some eggs under the tail, but they always magically disappeared.

Also, I'm a bit proud of this, seeing as breeding fish is usually the sign of doing most things right. After all, they must be content if their willing to... :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep it means they're happy and youre doing everything right. Keep it up! And yeah Pretty much any fish will eat the eggs and fry if they can find/get to them, definitely high quality 'food' tho that's for sure
thanks, glad I'm on the right track. Just out of curiosity, any members here have similar situations? Its nice to know that I have a pair. I actually had to replace on of the cats about... 6 or 7 months ago. the one that died led the two up and down the driftwood all day, which was such a cool site to see. now they spend most of their time on the substrate, but have a nice little "home" under the driftwood.

to those who are getting ready to post a need for pics, they will come soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pics!

here are some quick pics. compliments of my HTC's camera, so forgive the so-so quality.

the pic of the cory's isn't very good. I'm hoping to get a better shot within a few days. unfortunately the floors in my apartment aren't as sturdy as they could be, so whenever I walk up to the tank everyone gets a little freaked.

everything is great when I park a chair in front of the tank and wait a while! :hihi: it just doesnt make for decent photoshoots

Attachments

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Lol ok on the pics, I was gonna say something :p
Ive actually been breeding Cory paleatus and Aeneas for the last year or so, picked up 3 each when I started my first tank and a few months later, bam! eggs on the glass! I researched and started keeping the eggs separate to hatch and I've successfully had 3 batches of the paleatus and 2 batches of the aeneas since then ^^

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have 5 surviving bronze corys from a batch of eggs that I scooped off the glass of my tank. I used cherry shrimps to tend for the eggs after I put them in one of those breeder boxes. I would probably have ended up with more if I didn't release all the fry in the tank due to me leaving town for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have adult 3 salt and pepper corys in a 46 gal tank and didn't even know they had spawned. I saw a fry about 1 cm long and it was obviously a cory. He survived against all odds and is now about 1/2 the size of the adults. I never meant to breed them either but there is always room for one more of those little success stories. There were plenty of other fish in the tank to eat him as well as the parents themselves but somehow he managed to hide long enough and find enough food until he was a save to come out. I just love the little guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.