The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these guys a few days ago and they are the pepperd ones. I only have 2 but im wondering, one of them is always very hyper and always trying to be on top of the other cory.

Is this dude horny or something? His fins would be moving very fast trying to hover over the other cory.

Also if I get a differnt type of cory for the tank, will they school with eachother?

·
Registered
567 Posts
They don't mate like mammals do; the eggs are fertilized externally. So I don't think you are seeing sexual behavior.

Cories are normally very active fish and are very social, so it sounds like cories just being cories.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Any time I've mixed Cory species they've schooled together, but I've also always picked species that looked very similar and were of the same size. I've heard reports from others of bickering between different species in the same tank, though I've never experienced it.

I recommend you stay with the same species b/c your tank is fairly small and Peppereds are a good choice for your size tank. Many of the other Cories would really get too big.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got three small (juvi) peppered's for my 65. They were all the same size about two months ago when I added them. They're all nice and plump, but one has grown much larger than the other two. I'm wondering if I have two males and one female...

In any case, then do hang together. Three has worked out OK - though I've read that larger groups are better. You just have to do what's appropriate for your tank size.

·
Registered
322 Posts
yea there very active. I have 3 in a 20 gal and they just seem to follow the "lead man", up the glass, down the glass, etc. Its when they stop moving you will think something is wrong lol. All 3 of mine stopped the other day and did not move for at least 2 hours. I guess they took a nap. I was like wth are they doing. I put my finger near the glass to see if they would move and the one just moved his eye and looked at my finger like he was sizing me up. So I backed off and let them rest.

·
Registered
544 Posts
They don't mate like mammals do; the eggs are fertilized externally. So I don't think you are seeing sexual behavior.

Cories are normally very active fish and are very social, so it sounds like cories just being cories.
The fact that they don´t breed like mammals doesn´t mean they don´t court each other. Actually cories do court females by swimming all over them, but the ritual usually consists of several males going like crazy over a female. This behavior actually entices the female to lay eggs.

Courtship behavior is one of the most interesting things you can see in most fish species (a sailfin mollie raising the sailfin and wagging it to a female, a swordtail dancing back and forth, cichlids "fighting ritual and mouth locking... ) all of these are courting behaviors.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.