The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two baby Cory cats today, an albino and a peppered.
The peppered is doing his own thing, swimming about near the bottom, they have both eaten a few flakes.

The albino is really really lively and is racing all around the top, behind the filter and heater, all around my wood, and up and down the sides.
It does stop to rest a bit on the bottom for a few seconds but then it's off again!
Is this normal....?

The peppered did do a bit of racing round aswell but mostly stays on the bottom rooting around.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Many people get Cory cats for,this reason. They will never stop running around. As they get older it slows down but juices do it all the time. Go in at night and you'll see them racing. This is normal my peppered are more mellow than my albino

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, as long as it's normal I don't mind.
I was just worried incase it was sick or something as I thought they were meant to just stay on the bottom rooting for food.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
They will stay on the bottom when they feed. Some won't come up at all. Others will race across the top just going crazy. They'll calm down some in a week or so when they get adjusted

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I remember when I had panda corys, they would play follow the leader and zigzag up and down the glass.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have bandit and aeneus in two different tanks. The bandit I rarely ever see. They stick to the heavy planted areas. The aeneus are overly active and like to constantly dive bomb my other fish. It's rather funny to watch. They never sit still, always on the move checking this or that out or follow as a group behind my big bolivian male.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Some corys act completely nuts and are SUPER active. Aspidoras are some of the nuttiest and hyperactive corys out there. Others (especially the larger varieties like sp. concolor) will just sit there and line up against the edge of the tank like cars in a parking lot.
+1 lol...funny but so true...

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you can, you should have more cories than one of each type. They like to be in groups - 6 -8 - of the same type would be best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had bronze corys before that do this they can be really hyper. Also don't worry if you catch them darting up to the surface they do this to grab the odd mouthful of air and is totally normal. Try and pick up some more if you have space they are really sociable and are happier in groups of 5 plus. Less than 5 and you will notice them "freezing" and pretending to be invisible when you go near the tank :) really easy to breed too mine would spawn every water change if I just added cold water - within an hour the males would chase the female around and she would scatter the eggs all behind the filter and against the glass. Great fish - enjoy! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts