The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a julie cory that i purchased about 2 weeks ago that is acting strange.

it stays in the bottom left hand corner of the tank and swims in circles on the front glass of the tank over and over again. Every once and a while it will swim up to the top of the tank and it looks like it's trying to jump out.

What is really worrying me is that I had another cory in my tank (the one from my picture) and he is starting to do the same thing on the other side of the tank and I have never seen him do this and he has been in the tank for over a year.

I've tested the water and everything is normal.

The only thing i can say that has changed is that i raised my water level higher and now the glass of my light is under the water line which is give me much more light and my plants are actually growing like crazy now. My anacharis grew at least 3 inches in the last week.

I have other fish in the tank and they are all fine.

I also have a huge outbreak of snails that I am dealing with.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The only thing i can say that has changed is that i raised my water level higher and now the glass of my light is under the water line which is give me much more light and my plants are actually growing like crazy now.

I also have a huge outbreak of snails that I am dealing with.
"the glass of my light is under the water line" ??? I would think that would be dangerous.

As for snails... put a male Beta in the tank. Crunchy on the outside, chewy....:icon_smil

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
An outbreak of snails almost always means over feeding. And, over feeding can lead to water fouling.

Bettas are top feeders, aren't they? How can they eat snails? Now, loaches are another story.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how i'm over feeding when my fish are eating every bit of food i put in before it hits the floor. I was looking online and someone said that ghost shrimp eat snails. I've seen 2 different types of "ghost shrimp" one looks like a shrimp and the other looks like a crawfish with a big pincher. Do any of you know if the ones that look like a shrimp eat the snails too?

As for the light, the hood of the tank has a seal around the glass the the light sits above. The water touches the glass without touching the light.

by raising the water level I have lessened the surface movement but my plants are actually periling now so I figured that would increase the o2 in the tank.

None of the other fish are doing this, do any of you know if corys are more o2 sensitive?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your water tests fine then I would not worry about it. Corys do weird actions all the time. Once the lights go out in my tank, the corys sometimes spend minutes at a time gulping air for the fun of it. Just awesome fish.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If your water tests fine then I would not worry about it. Corys do weird actions all the time. Once the lights go out in my tank, the corys sometimes spend minutes at a time gulping air for the fun of it. Just awesome fish.
I doubt that's "just for fun." You should probably consider running an airstone for them. The fact that it happens right after lights out I think is rather significant- plants stop producing O2 and infact absorb O2 and start producing CO2 in the absence of light.

Cories spend most of their time at the bottom of the tank, where the O2 levels are the lowest.

Spinning fish is often a sign of either CO2 poisoning OR O2 deficiency.

You probably need to check your water parameters and get a drop checker to measure your CO2 levels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I
The only thing i can say that has changed is that i raised my water level higher and now the glass of my light is under the water line which is give me much more light and my plants are actually growing like crazy now.
I suggest you lower the water level a bit. I lost some bottom dwelling rams when I raised my water level too much. After looking at it, I realized the increased water level resulted in less surface movement. I'm guessing that resulted in an O2 deficiency. I haven't had a problem since as long as I have a surface ripple after waterchanges. HTH.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a julie cory that i purchased about 2 weeks ago that is acting strange.

it stays in the bottom left hand corner of the tank and swims in circles on the front glass of the tank over and over again. Every once and a while it will swim up to the top of the tank and it looks like it's trying to jump out.

What is really worrying me is that I had another cory in my tank (the one from my picture) and he is starting to do the same thing on the other side of the tank and I have never seen him do this and he has been in the tank for over a year.
They sound fine to me. That is how cory's act. Very entertaining. Although they might jump out so keep your tank covered.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Corys tend to shoot up like a rocket from the bottom of the tank, and "jump" out of the water, making a little splash. It's just a part of their behavior, nothing to worry about.

I have 16 corys in my 68 gallon, and they also do the circle motion against the glass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.