The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to fill up my new 40 breeder, but I noticed that the front left and rear right corners of the black trim are not completely flush on the stand. I can slide a credit card through. What should I do? I did some searching on the net and some say to use foam and some say not to? Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Make sure the tank is in full contact with the stand, or stress points due to unevenness could fail in time. You might try a thin closed cell foam pad under the tank.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know that pros use playing cards for leveling Billard tables. Not sure about aquariums :confused1: On my 29 I leveled the stand and sat the aquarium on it.

So much for quality control :icon_roll

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the tank is in full contact with the stand, or stress points due to unevenness could fail in time. You might try a thin closed cell foam pad under the tank.
That's what I'm trying to explain.... the tank is not in full contact with the stand, which means that either the plywood has some slight unevenness or the trim on the tank isn't even. I'm not sure what kind of foam or how thick to use.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Most likely your stand is a bit twisted. Try pulling on the stand from oposite corners and see if that can help. If so, most likely when you add the weight of the tank filled it will level everything out. If not, get the front of the tank flat against the stand, and shim the back corner(s) with pennies, or cut pieces from a plastic container and use those.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well don't rush it and remember that it must have support on all sides equally or you run the risk of the bottom falling out(ask me how I know that one). Forty gallons doesn't seem like a lot of water til you r cleaning it out of carpet.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615614,-88.302908

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not going to rush it. I definitely don't want to have a tank break. I put a really thin piece of cardboard under it and it makes it where it's completely flat, but I don't know if that is the right solution. The gap is only like a 1mm space. You can fit a credit card in there, so I'm at a loss as to what the best solution is.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the guy never showed up. I called Marineland and a lady told me that using foam is ok and she even suggested the type of foam that I posted a link to without me mentioning it. Then I got disconnected in mid conversation. I called back and another woman wouldn't even talk to me about it because the stand is "custom built". So who knows. I'm frustrated right now!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok so here is what you need to do. Go to your local hardware store and get a piece of 1/2 inch mdf. Most of them will cut it to the dimensions of the tank bottom place this piece under your tank with a piece of either plastic or rubber in between the two. This will prevent and water eventually rot the wood. Painting it will also help to protect it. Once it's all setup just add water and all will be well I promise. I've had my tank on this method for eight yrs and have not had a single problem.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615614,-88.302908

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.