The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently bought a used tank and planned on setting it up with a corner matten filter, But when I picked the tank up to my surprise it came with fish so I got home and filled it up to keep the fish alive. My question is does anyone have any ideas on how to set up a corner matten filter with the tank full already. And help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What size tank?

The usual method is to silicone in glass strips to hold the foam in place but requires a dry tank and a couple days drying time.

If you are handy with acrylic, you can make a 2 sided triangle the inside height of the tank and the width of the acrylic sides to fit the desired arc of the foam and solvent weld acrylic strips at the front to hold the foam in place. It would look like This

A quick option would be to just install the foam sheet on the short end of the tank from rear glass to front glass. Not so pretty for a display tank but works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size tank?

The usual method is to silicone in glass strips to hold the foam in place but requires a dry tank and a couple days drying time.

If you are handy with acrylic, you can make a 2 sided triangle the inside height of the tank and the width of the acrylic sides to fit the desired arc of the foam and solvent weld acrylic strips at the front to hold the foam in place. It would look like This

A quick option would be to just install the foam sheet on the short end of the tank from rear glass to front glass. Not so pretty for a display tank but works great.

Sorry I shoudve added tank size. It’s a 75 gallon. I thought about a pre formed triangle but was worried it would have a gap between the glass and filter.

Sorry I shoudve added tank size. It’s a 75 gallon. I thought about a pre formed triangle but was worried it would have a gap between the glass and filter.
also the picture you added looks to be like my best option so far. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The one I made fit very snug against the glass but then I was working with a dry tank but in a hurry to fill it with water.

The pic wasn't mine but found online. As always, I forget to take pics and measurements of DIY projects like this one.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you have another tank/plastic bin that can hold the fish for a day or 2 ,then just drain down the new tank, clean and install . If not, the supports on the side of the filter don't actually have to be attached at the bottom of the tank, so you can draw the water down, install the side pieces, and let it dry for a day and then refill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts