The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been lurking around a few forums as I assemble a 55g planted tank, looking at lighting options including DIY alternatives to store bought hoods. While looking into LED info I came across corn LED bulbs, which screw into a standard E27 socket. They seem to be very low wattage, between 7 and 20 watts or so at most but they use a ton of LEDs and I have found several in the 6500-7000k range. Is anyone familiar with these? I am tempted to order a few and see how they work as Ive never heard of them and while the wattage ratings are low they are very cheap compared to conventional LEDs.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Those bulbs seem to have LEDs spotted all over them, with very few of them aimed in any one direction. Collecting the light from all of them, to redirect it into the tank would be a challenge. And, as 2in10 noted, those are tiny, low efficiency LEDs too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I suggest to stick with LED PAR bulbs that empoly POWER LEDs that are at least 1W each LED.

See the link, the LEDs should have a lens to focus the light. 60 degrees is most common for aquarium purpose.

If you want high lighted tank, I think 3 pcs of 15x1W will cover your tank very nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.