The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to use dried Corkscrew Willow branches in my planted tank. Has anyone had first person experience with this wood? Is this stuff going to disintegrate in a few months?

Based on my research, it's safe and does come recommended as a good Hardscape option, but it may rot as it's a soft wood. My concern is rather or not/how quickly it will rot. The branches I have are a bit thicker than a pencil. I also have some thin and kinky twigs.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
603 Posts
I have something similar in a betta tank. The wood softens and is easy to break smaller bits if you have to work with it at all. I try to leave it alone as much as possible. I expect you'll see the same issue.

·
Registered
775 Posts
A few months.
OP. Sorry to state the obvious but I think that you have your answer here. It would be a bummer to have your hardscape up and your tank planted only to have the wood start to crumble that soon. Lots of other good wood choices available that will last for years.

BTW. I love the look of corkscrew willow. After googling it just now it reminded me that I had been thinking of building an out-of-tank backdrop using it. I think that might look very cool.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
603 Posts
Here's a pic of my tank. I think the vendor told me the wood was rose vine. All the small tips broken off during various cleanings and rescapings.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have corkscrew willow on the wall behind my 75 gallon, it's what the pothos is climbing on.
I've been tempted to use it in one of the tanks but really don't want to replace it every 3 or 4 months...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. If it's gonna crumble in a few months, I sadly dont think it's worth it.

I'm having a hard time finding single branches with the same kinky, vine like shape (in the US). Especially the thinner sizes. There's a few places that sell rattan roots from China, but have poor reviews. Anybody know any vendors that sell a good alternative to the Pics attached?

I was considering manzanita, but it simply doesn't have the root/vine look.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.