The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that some of the new plants coming off of my corkscrew vals are not twisted, but growing straight. I thought maybe they didn't start the twisting until later on, but some of them are now 6 inches tall and still straight...What's going on with them?

·
Registered
548 Posts
maybe it was straight plant all along? was just confused? going through a life change?

Did the plant ever TELL you it wasn't straight? or were u just assuming because of what it looked like?

(ok seriously though, +1 post count.......)

I've seen this happen with other plants before... hope some one chimes in with a real answer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've have had corkscrew vals before, and the new growth is always less spiral than when I brought at the store or in any pictures I see. But I have never had it grow straight up.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe it was straight plant all along? was just confused? going through a life change?

Did the plant ever TELL you it wasn't straight? or were u just assuming because of what it looked like?

(ok seriously though, +1 post count.......)

I've seen this happen with other plants before... hope some one chimes in with a real answer.
Hahaha funny.

The new plants don't even look like corkscrew at all. I know they are though, because they're attached to the parent corkscrew vals. And I don't have anything else in the tank that looks remotely like that.

I'll try to get a picture of them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If those are the options, leaf, it's probably a deficiency. I've got medium-ish light...160 watts of T12 flourescent bulbs on a 55 gallon tank, which comes to about 2.9 wpg (yes I know, outdated method, but it always worked ok for me), and only about 170 gph of flow since my angelfish hate lots of current. Any more than that and they just get blasted around the tank and get stressed...

Any ideas what would be deficient? I gave them some root tabs today, will see if that helps. I got a picture, and will upload it when I find the cord for the camera.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

didnt know plants went through puberty

but yea it might be a lighting or nutrition problem
ive seen it happen before not only in my tanks but my friends tank and my work tanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts