The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I put some fresh root tabs in my tank during a water change. I had a large bunch of corkscrew vals, all the way to the top of my 55 gallon tank and throwing out runners like crazy. I had to keep trimming them back. Now, two weeks later, I am down to less than half the vals I had, and they are shedding leaves like crazy, just falling apart. If I move my hand through them, the plants just seem to disintegrate, but the leaves falling off are still green, not melting or turning yellow/brown. What's going on? Do vals not like root tabs? Or could it be from my switch from pressurized to DIY CO2 around the same time? The canister went empty unexpectedly (I.E. the cat was playing in the tubing and pulled it loose from the canister when no one was home, and it emptied itself out into the room!) and I'm using the DIY until I can get it refilled, getting close to the same amount of CO2 out of it though according to my drop checker. Or maybe something else is going on? It's 2.9 watts per gallon (I know, I know, outdated, but it works for me) of regular flourescent 6500K bulbs, DIY CO2, soil substrate with a sand/gravel mix cap. I've had the vals for years with no issue other than if they get planted right in the line of a powerhead, it blasts them to pieces. But they are in a fairly slow currented part of the tank now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So sorry to hear about your vals, and don't know enough about planted tanks yet to offer an explanation, but just wanted to say that I had to laugh about the cat! Ya gotta luv em. I hope that if/when I get into using CO2, mine doesn't do the same (but wouldn't be surprised if he did.)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we've got one lazy fat cat and one hyperactive one. She's a year and a half old and still acts like a kitten! She loves to chase water through the python tubing while I do water changes, and any chance she gets, she climbs into the aquarium stand to play with the python even though it is not going...that's what she was probably doing when she unhooked the CO2...crazy cat. Time to get baby locks for the stand's doors...she opens cabinet doors, plus all the doors in the house! I will be keeping the tubing securely duct taped in place from now on. (Already have the needle valve taped up so that the nieces and nephews can't mess with it when they look at the tank)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.