The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it humane to keep cories in heavily planted tanks with no bare substrate? I'm hoping to eventually get a school for my planted 120 gallon tank. However the tank is covered almost entirely by either stem plants or dwarf hairgrass. The hairgrass is well established so I'm not worried about uprooting, but rather the fish's well-being. If it matters I prefer the dome-headed over the long-nosed species.

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMO they need a soft substrate to stick their face in plus their natural habitat are mostly detritus and soft substrate (sand or soil). Maybe you can give some space for them - remove some plants if that is not too much of a hassle. :)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Softer substrate the better but I've had em in eco complete. Bred habrosus but unsuccessful with fry. Only thing worry is them cute adorable guys will uproot plants

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've had sterbai in planted tank and they didn't uproot anything (and sterbai are the biggest), but they're letting sand through gills when eating. So I wouldn't recommend cories without sand, but if you have other substrate all in plants at least they won't get harmed (but won't be extremely happy without sand).

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I wouldn't say it is inhumane. I had them in my heavily planted tank and they found their way between my plants. There are MUCH worse things IMO. I never feel bad for any fish I purchase. I have a cycled tank with plants and do regular water changes. I'd say most novice fish keepers don't do any of that and purchase fish for their tanks.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
If we have the same definition of "heavily planted" then I bet there is some open substrate around stem plants. Cories are scavengers and excel at finding food. I currently keep 4 species and none of them complaint yet of being stuck in overgrown tanks :)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If we have the same definition of "heavily planted" then I bet there is some open substrate around stem plants. Cories are scavengers and excel at finding food. I currently keep 4 species and none of them complaint yet of being stuck in overgrown tanks :)
Yeah there's a bit of open substrate between stems (can't keep them too densely together after all) but no bare patches. What species do you keep? Deciding which to go for is hard given how many there are!

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Panda, Sterbai, habrosus, and hastatus.
Had to evict Bronze as they kept coming up for air (which is fine) but body slamed back in, with water everywhere.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neat. If you happen to have pictures of the tanks they're in that'd be great.

Also how do the pandas and sterbais compare in behavior? One of my main goals for getting cories is to have fish to disturb detritus from the bottom into the water column, but some of the sterbais I've seen don't move around very much.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sterbai ftw! They are moving pretty much and with their big bodies they can disturb much detritus. It's just they need 25-26 C to be strong and happy. In lower temp they tend to eat and lie down.
Good to know. I keep the tank at 75-76 - I guess this is a bit cold for them?

·
Registered
945 Posts
It won't matter to the cory's. They make there way thru the plant and will push them out the way. They don't have to have sand but they do love it. A lot of breeders use bare bottom tanks is that any worse then a heavily plant tank? I think they will do fine and they will find a spot on the bottom. They won't pull or dig but they will work there way thru the plants.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Pandas I find more sensitive than sterbai, I think they need warmer water than other Cory cars

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I didn't know. Do u what their sensitivity is?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a custom built 150 long tank that is heavily planted with carpets bacopa, dwarf hair grass, fields of micro sword and a bunch of stuff that is so dense any sick or dead fish tends to be quickly absorbed before I can clean them out. When I set it up I added 11 pygmy cories. Last January I discovered they had multiplied to more than 60. There's not much open space for them to wander around in. But they certainly have no problem finding food. And they're great for cleaning in and around a dense forest of vallisneria I have growing in part of the tank. Great little critters. The best thing is after feeding and several other times during the day they get an urge to swim about in several groups as if they were tetras or rasboras. They grow slowly so the youger ones actualy look like a school of small tetras racing from one end of the tank to the other. Again, great cories.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a custom built 150 long tank that is heavily planted with carpets bacopa, dwarf hair grass, fields of micro sword and a bunch of stuff that is so dense any sick or dead fish tends to be quickly absorbed before I can clean them out. When I set it up I added 11 pygmy cories. Last January I discovered they had multiplied to more than 60. There's not much open space for them to wander around in. But they certainly have no problem finding food. And they're great for cleaning in and around a dense forest of vallisneria I have growing in part of the tank.
I love hearing stories of fish breeding and increasing their populations in densely planted large tanks. Good point about cories getting in between stands of taller plants - right now those areas are the ones that tend to accumulate the most detritus.

Right now three cories I'm considering are C. panda and C. similis for the cuteness factor, and C. sp. CW010 for the coolness factor. Would like to hear people's experiences with these - which is most active?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.