The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Could I get away with using this on my 56 gallon column tank for lowlight to medium plants?

http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualight_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_Coralife_p/res58021.htm
Hi Blackheart,

I believe that tank is 24" deep? If so, and allowing for 2" of substrate, you have about 22" from the top to the substrate.

I agree a T5-NO is not sufficient light. I would recommend a good 1X24 watt T5-HO fixture like Tek or maybe Catalina with a 6700K/plant bulb. If you think you might go CO2 later, they also make a 2X24 watt fixture with separate cords and switches so you can one now and increase your light level later. The 1X24 watt will give you a PAR of about 30 which is low/medium light. The 2X24 watt will give you a PAR of 60 which is medium light.

Or, if you like DIY you could use a 1X55 watt AH Supply Power Compact kit for a PAR of about 40 and medium light.

If you want to learn more about lighting, I recommend:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
361 Posts
that coralife t5no fixture is sketchy at best, even if it was the right light for your needs. I have personally burned through over a half dozen of the 30 inch versions myself all in just a few months. Bulbs flicker and burn out like crazy. I figured picking up a couple of $30 lights for my tank would save me money, but at replacement bulbs costing about $15 a pop I quickly ended up spending more than I would have buying a more quality fixture in the first place. Because of my experience with that light I will not be buying more coralife products, and have made the switch to led so I (hopefully!) wont have to replace bulbs for a verrrrrry long time.

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
There are tons of threads about contacting customer service to resolve problems like that. Once fixtures get replaced, there's no issue.

I had mine replaced in just two days and haven't had an issue since.

Any time you have a problem with a new product, contact the manufacturer for support.

that coralife t5no fixture is sketchy at best, even if it was the right light for your needs. I have personally burned through over a half dozen of the 30 inch versions myself all in just a few months. Bulbs flicker and burn out like crazy. I figured picking up a couple of $30 lights for my tank would save me money, but at replacement bulbs costing about $15 a pop I quickly ended up spending more than I would have buying a more quality fixture in the first place. Because of my experience with that light I will not be buying more coralife products, and have made the switch to led so I (hopefully!) wont have to replace bulbs for a verrrrrry long time.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hi All,

Typically the complaint I hear about the Coralife fixtures (and some others) is fan noise and fan reliability; either initially or after being in service for a while.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks much :)

I actually decided to go with the Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood. May not be the greatest, but it got pretty good reviews on Amazon, and was darn cheap. only 63 bucks. And I can add as much light as I need. one 24 watt bulb, or two of them, which I will probably do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts