The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up a 65g tank right now. I'm trying to think of a lighting and a filter solution for the tank.
I have been looking at Coralife Frshwtr Aqualight 1X96 or possibly two Coralife T5 Frshwatr Aqualights 2X42 watts. I am just wondering if I can get more bang for the buck from the PC's or the T5's. They would basically be the same price in the end.
I would likely not have pressurized CO2 for a while but would likely get a DIY setup going from the beginning. My layout plant are mostly to have sand and open foregound but to plant mostly tall plant(swords,vals,etc.) in the back corner, some sag., crypts, anubias, javas in the middleground. The tank is 24" tall also. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I too would go with the dual light!

pc of t5 is up to you but if one offers more flexibility then go with it....i.e. dual cords, dual switches, independent lamp control.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The dual 96watt is a grat light and would give you alot more light to play with different plant species than the 2x42watt. Also the 8800k 96watt bulbs from Champion Lighting look great IMO.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I like Current's Orbit fixture. The reflector is much better than Coralife's. It's a 2x96w unit. The back bulb is a dual daylight 6700K/10,000K. The front bulb is a dual actinic. It has white moon lights. The PC's have separate on/off switches. There's three power cords. The moon lights don't have an on/off switch.

You could move the dual daylight to the front because the fan in controlled by the front bulb and just run one bulb. Then if you want more lighting, you can replace the dual actinic with another dual daylight, 6700K, 10,000K, 8800K or Colormax/6700K bulb.

CURRENT WHAT'S NEXT

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have the Current USA Orbit 96x2 on my 65g and it is perfect. I had to swap out the actinic but I like the sleek looks of the fixture over any other brand.

The lights are on two circuits.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
2x96w would work fine.

Check out Reef Central Online Community for used fixtures. Most contain an actinic bulb but that can always be easily changed out. A lot of used fixtures are sold there from people upgrading from PC to MH/T5/VHO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2X96 would probably be a sounder investment over time. I have also recently seen a T5 Nova hood from Current which has 156 watts of lighting. You can also mix and match bulbs between 6700K and 5500K or 10000K. Has anyone used this fixture?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
How loud is the fan on the Current?

Keith
I can hear it but it doesn't bother me. I have an Orbit fixture in my bedroom and I don't really notice the fan noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts