The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying the Coralife Night/Day digital timer to operate my led's, lights, co2, etc...

Anybody had any experience with these that can give me some feedback. Thanks.

Jesse

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying the Coralife Night/Day digital timer to operate my led's, lights, co2, etc...

Anybody had any experience with these that can give me some feedback. Thanks.

Jesse
Do a "Coralife Timer" search, you will find several pages of info. After reading some of that info a while back I pulled mine out of service.......DC

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that. I'll do the search. I actually just bought a 5 noma timer from the local hardware store that I was going to use but when I saw the coralife one for $40 I thought that was a much better deal.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The problem with most of these blasted timers is that the plug is in the side. Since for our purposes they're usually plugged into a power strip that effectively blocks access to at least one of the plugs on the strip. I just found these with a little searching (knew I'd seen 'em somewhere!) - a little pricey, but they'd do the job. Has anyone used these and can give an idea of how much of a power strip they would cover?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow - just did the search as recommended (I'm fairly new here so hadn't seen these). That's not good.

Has anyone had any problems with them that did not involve water? I'm still reading, so maybe I'll get to that - but it seems most problems were caused by water in the power strip portion?

The product idea itself is outstanding.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I switched over after reading those posts. now I use ones like these (click pic for link):

Lets me mount them remotely,

For my lights, and colling fans they have others with multiple plugs.

Put a label on the outside, and put them all in a row. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
All good options - I just really liked the idea of the Coralife (and whomever else has the same product) using the timer to drive two sets of sockets (day/night).

I understand it's possible to duplicate this - but seeminly only by using two timers (and/or power strips attached to the timers).

This would work at home where I can do what I please, but I was looking for a "simple" alternative for a tank I plan on setting up for my workplace.

Thanks all,

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi RoseHawk,

I inquired here about those timers probably a yr ago. I didn't get any info good or bad.

The biggest problems that I have with timers (all digital) is either they don't keep time (!) or they don't work with pumps--even air pumps! (<- for Auto-dosing). I would think that in this day and age--this would be pretty simple Technology.

Anybody know of any really good digital timers that work with water pumps, air pumps, etc--for under $25....???

Any thoughts on the timers that Rosehwak referenced would be Great Too! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
They just don't work. It messes them up and they have to be reset, by opening them up and removing the battery backup and then replacing it and putting it back together. 1 type I had to short in a certain spot in order to get it to reset. Then they have to be reprogrammed. I've tried at least 2 different types (Timex and Wood) and its the same thing. The Wood brand is better, but still not reliable for pumps--works Great for lighting though. I would guess that it has to do with the type of resistance. Electronics is my weak spot. :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Odd. I've got a couple water pumps attached to digital timers that I picked up at Lowe's, nothing special, just what they had, and haven't had any problems out of them. They're each set to come on for just one minute though since they're used for auto-dosing. Perhaps this is the difference?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i have two coralife digital strips and i think any powerstrip will have problems is water got on them.

i have one that turns on an air pump when the lights go out on my planted tank so i dont see the problem. the other coralife is powering 3x55w pc fixtures with no problems.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Odd. I've got a couple water pumps attached to digital timers that I picked up at Lowe's, nothing special, just what they had, and haven't had any problems out of them. They're each set to come on for just one minute though since they're used for auto-dosing. Perhaps this is the difference?
I set mine up the same way for the same thing. There's also a 3rd timer--the brand I can't remember. Mine malfunction with the "On"-Click, but one of the Woods didn't shut off and totally overdosed Excel. Killed the beneficial bacteria and feeder fish.

i have one that turns on an air pump when the lights go out on my planted tank so i dont see the problem. the other coralife is powering 3x55w pc fixtures with no problems.
That's the Thing. I don't get it. A lot of folks do the same thing--but it doesn't work for me. Must be the electrical system in this place. Who Knows? I can use the same timers for incandescent and CF lights---NP.

I am getting ready to pick up a couple of the Intermatic Outdoor timers that Motomaro uses. Hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've been using the Coralife digtal timer for over a year now and no problems at all. It handles my daytime lights (2X65W CF bulbs and 40W NO fluorescent bulb), night time lights (LEDS), powerhead filter, HOB filter, heater, fan (summer time use).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.