The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, just return to plant tank hobby because of school. anyway please help. I have 2 x 65w coralife 6700 CF and my tank is 55g. Do you think this is sufficient to grow moderate to high plants? 2.36WPG. anyone with the same setup as I do? Should i upgrade to a better lightning? CO2 is coming next week and i want to get ready. I already email Rex with some fertilizers. Hopefully he return my email soon.

plan to grow plants:
Glosso
java fern
african green hydro
water hedge
star grass
red rotala
Red Ludwigia

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 55g and ran with the Coralife 2x65 for a few months. The plants did OK, but didn't really thrive. I changed to 4x65 and the plants became VERY happy.

With 2 lights, you will be able to handle low-medium light plants, but I don't think you'll be happy with the results from the higher light plants. The easiest thing would be to set up with your existing lights and watch for a couple months. Then you can decide if you need to upgrade. I used the time to watch for a deal on a used light!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey jim, thanks for helping. Also, isn't 260w too high for 55g? can i just add 24" 1x65 coralife in there to make it 195w ? will this be effective? how's your dosing, since your light is 4.7WPG??

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a 55g and ran with the Coralife 2x65 for a few months. The plants did OK, but didn't really thrive. I changed to 4x65 and the plants became VERY happy.

With 2 lights, you will be able to handle low-medium light plants, but I don't think you'll be happy with the results from the higher light plants. The easiest thing would be to set up with your existing lights and watch for a couple months. Then you can decide if you need to upgrade. I used the time to watch for a deal on a used light!
I agree, same thing didn't do much on my 60. Did OK with low light plants on my 130 room divider (go figure). If you want to upgrade later, do t5 :).

Tina

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after researching price and quality i finally order the JBJ 260w at aquariumplants.com . it seem that they have a pretty good deal, $159 . You can also get to choose which bulbs for the system. I got the 4x 6500K bulbs. I was going for the AHS 2x55w, but i dont want to go through the trouble, since i dont have a canopy.
Anyone have good experience with JBJ Formosa?

btw, thanks for everyone help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
JBJ Formosa

I have a JBJ Formosa 2x 65 watt CP light on legs. I was using 55 watt bulbs until recently when I switched one to 65. My only complaint about it has been noisy fans. The fans got noisy and kind of wobbly. I used to tap the top or tap the fan blades with a paper clip to make them run quieter. Eventually one or two stopped entirely. I stuck a paper clip in the third to shut it up. This is all in the first couple years of owning it. Nothing fried so I am actually running it without fans, but I live in cool San Francisco, in a hot town this might be a very bad idea. I can't recommend it, it's just what I did. I've intended to replace the fans but blissful silence is not a great motivator.:icon_twis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts