The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in the reef community there's a big debate about whether copper accumulates in sufficient levels in a glass tank's silicone to harm invertebrates upon its release. Does copper accumulate this way in freshwater tanks? If so, would copious complete water changes and Seachem Cuprisorb be sufficient to eliminate any built up copper?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I'm sure a small amount of copper could be present on the silicone. Absorbed deeply enough to cause a problem? No way.

If transferring a tank that has been treated heavily with copper to a reef tank a good wash with vinegar should remove the majority of surface contaminants.

In the freshwater arena there should be little issue. Especially in a planted tank that uses any micro fertilizers. Those fertilizers contain chelates that will bind the copper anyway. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would assume, that unless you use a copper based treatment that would be fatal to inverts anyways, your not going to build up enough copper to be an issue. Also if your really concerned about the silicone, resealing the tank should be sufficient to either encapsulate or remove whatever copper there may be

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.