The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new type of fish food yesterday and not reading the contents, which I should have, fed a small amount to my shrimp as well. They and the snails went to town on the food and there is not a single crumb left. However, looking closer at the food today I realized that it contains copper. I check the shrimp tanks and all the shrimp appear to be fine. Will one single feeding of food containing copper hurt them or is it rather the long term access of that type of food that will kill shrimp?

·
Registered
339 Posts
One single feeding could kill them. But I doubt the percentage in the food is high enough. Just stop using the food. If they are not already dead they will be fine.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
One single feeding could kill them. But I doubt the percentage in the food is high enough. Just stop using the food. If they are not already dead they will be fine.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
Shrimp need some amount of copper. Their blood is copper based where as ours is iron based. This is why their blood is blue and our blood is red. As the oxygen molecule attaches to the copper molecules the copper oxidizes and turns blue. Too Much copper will be fatal.

That being said. I feed my shrimp Hikari Shrimp Cuisine which contains a minimum of 29mg/kg of copper. according to the packaging. Good food I recommend it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Shrimp actually need a tiny bit of copper in their diet as its is used in their blood, the concentration in the fish food shouldnt be high enough to kill the shrimp and is probably good for them actually.

Shrimp need some amount of copper. Their blood is copper based where as ours is iron based. This is why their blood is blue and our blood is red. As the oxygen molecule attaches to the copper molecules the copper oxidizes and turns blue. Too Much copper will be fatal.

That being said. I feed my shrimp Hikari Shrimp Cuisine which contains a minimum of 29mg/kg of copper. according to the packaging. Good food I recommend it.
darn beat me to it but yea what he said

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
SNES_Chalmers420 has it right. Trace is all that is needed and one should be actively be dosing it. Also consider incorporating fresh foods like zucchini, squash, spinach...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a relief. They really liked the new food. So if they get it once a week they should be fine. Thanks everyone. I usually feed them fresh veggies and shrimp specific foods. Every now and then I add a shrimp pellet or other type of sinking fish food to spice it up a little. This was the first time I used fish food without checking the contents first. Lately I read they also like bee pollen and I ordered a container. This will last my shrimp about 300 years. This also puts me at ease with the RCS and the tangerine tiger shrimp, because they are housed with fish and have access to all types of food. I feed them their food in the same corner every day and they seemed to have learned this pretty quickly but that does not mean that they will not steal some fish food too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts