The Planted Tank Forum banner

Copper @ 1ppm

1638 21
So after loosing all inverts I have tried in my two cycled tanks, I decided to test for copper. Straight out of the tap my copper reading was 1ppm. Am I doomed to not keep inverts?

I am not able to buy a RO unit, so that would not be an option for me at this point. Is there any reliable treatment for copper so that I could at least keep some Ramshorns/MTS or RCS? :(
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm I use prime. Maybe I will have to treat the water then check again.

If I buy RO or Distilled water will I have to remineralize it? My fish are all happy so I don't want to change too much. Worst case just no inverts for me...booooooo!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Pull some tap into a sample container. Test and verify copper is present. Treat with Prime and retest to verify Copper has been neutralized. Sleep at night.

Yes, RO and DI will have to be remineralized before use, and there are many products available for this purpose.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Prime won't remove anything so your test won't tell you anything about whether or not the prime is detoxifying the copper. According to Seachem it won't really do anyhting to detox that much copper. Here is a quote from a seachem rep on another forum:

"Hello thanks for the question. The important thing to remember is that the primary functions of Prime are to detoxify chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. While it will also help to detoxify heavy metals, this is more of a side effect and may not be the most effective means for you. Because Prime will preferentially bind with the other mentioned compounds, it is hard to say how much of any available heavy metals will be detoxified. An RO unit is a much more effective means of removing any heavy metals instead of relying on Prime to remove some of them. With Prime, it is really just an added benefit that any Prime that is active after detoxifying chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will then detoxify as many heavy metal ions as well."

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks for the info! I will look into RO...worst case I will just be invert-less :(

I had no idea you could get it at the drugstore or supermarket! I will have to look around next time! Dumb question, but how do you bring it home? Old gallon jugs?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I use the vending machines. When I needed to go cheap, I used $3 plastic buckets from the hardware store and brought home 5 gallons at a time. I still do it the same way but I've swapped my buckets for the nice 5 gallon drinking water containers that have handles and screw on caps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the API drop test. This one....Amazon.com: API Copper Test Kit: Pet Supplies

It has rained a lot so I will test again with rain water, my tankwater, and tap water, well actually we have well water. I will also see if I can find the analysis of our well water from when we bought the property. It was 3 years ago though so idk how much it could have changed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If your well is like many others and your house is older (pre 1980), there is probably an exterior tap before it enters the house. Check there and at your tap to note differences, as usually well piping is newer than the house's system (and therefore PVC, not standard copper or iron pipes)

Off kilter comment: I just noticed you are from Pottstown. I spent a great deal of my life in Reading, and I dearly miss cruise nights there when it was still 4 lanes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok soooo, listened to all of your awesome tips, let the water run for a while and everything. Here is what I got.

Rain Water - 0
Tank Water - 0.25
Well Water - 1

What the heck? LOL! I tested 2x from the tap just incase I didn't let it run long enough and it was even darker the second time. I am just confused since the tank water seems to be lower....could it be because I have Purigen in there? Could I still try to keep some hardy snails at least like Ramshorns or MTS if I keep up with Purigen or Poly-Fiber or something?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh and it is an older home with copper pipes. :( As pipes go we are working on replacing them with PVC but it will be years before they are all replaced.

Asphalt Art - small world! I actually grew up in Brooklyn, NY so I wouldn't know much about Pottstown before the lanes went down, but late nights you can still cruise pretty well ;) You probably could during the day too if people could figure out how to merge....seems simple enough! LOL!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Asphalt Art - small world! I actually grew up in Brooklyn, NY so I wouldn't know much about Pottstown before the lanes went down, but late nights you can still cruise pretty well ;) You probably could during the day too if people could figure out how to merge....seems simple enough! LOL!
Yeah those angled parking spaces downtown used to be the outer lanes. I cannot tell you how many times I left the lights at some of those intersections with no more than the rear tires on the ground. The turnaround was the McDonald's where the lanes went back to two, and everyone who wasn't driving was packing the sides of the street every Friday and Saturday night. All of the real races were set up at the McD's and were done on HWY 222 on the straighter sections.

When they dropped the lanes down, the town died literally and financially. There was that much money coming into it every weekend. If Performance Specialties (speed shop) is still open downtown stop by and ask them how it used to be. They used to run a dyno in the parking lot :hihi:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.