The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Is it possible to have copepods in a planted tank? I have a small reef tank whre I have thousands of copepods (good thing), and few days ago I was working on my planted tank and saw few what looked like copepods on my glass. Is it possbile for copepods to live in a planted tank? THey looked identical to the ones from the reef tank, size wise, shape wise, color wise and so on.

Is it possible that while working on the feef tank, I transfered few over to my planted tank? Wouldn't they die right away?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i may be wrong, but when i was cleaning out my filter a few days ago, i noticed what looked like little bugs zipping around in the water. i did some research and came to the conclusion that they must be freshwater daphnia, also called water fleas. perhaps thats what they are.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Yeah you can have copepods in planted tanks. I have a few in my tank. They give the little fish something to snack on occasionally, so I find having them beneficial. I think they may also scavenge on leftover food and help keep tanks a little cleaner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I am in this hobby for over a year now and everyday I find out something new. What can I say I am still a newbie. Very interesting link with all teh images and descriptions. I jsut don;t understand how you guys find that stuff, I did searches and could not come up with anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.