The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do anymore in my 5 gallon CRS tank. I literally moved my shrimp to a container and put a bunch of carbon dioxide and club soda into the gravel and then i restarted the tank again cleaned the plants and let it cycle for a month and everything went smooth for 3 weeks until they started showing up again! I can't get rid of them no matter what i do and it's so annoying!:help: Does anyone know any fish i can keep with my CRS that will eat these things? Sometimes mosquitoes lay their larvae as well so if they eat that too that'd be great

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Do you have fish you can feed them to? The problem is they burrow into the substrate. How long did you gas them for? Did you leave the plants in? Do you have moss and did you leave that in? What about driftwood?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have fish you can feed them to? The problem is they burrow into the substrate. How long did you gas them for? Did you leave the plants in? Do you have moss and did you leave that in? What about driftwood?
Yeah i removed the plants driftwood and moss into a bucket and put gas as well.

I just left the substrate itself in my aquarium when i did that, i don't have a fish i can feed them to i guess i'd need one to control the population because last time this happen the population was way out of control it was so many of them on the glass it looked like a bunch of parasites piled up :crying:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think smaller guppies will eat them, just make sure they are smaller than your CRS. If you see them picking on the shrimp then take em out. If you are trying to breed your CRS then def no guppies. Guppies will definitely gobble them up...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think smaller guppies will eat them, just make sure they are smaller than your CRS. If you see them picking on the shrimp then take em out. If you are trying to breed your CRS then def no guppies. Guppies will definitely gobble them up...
Would separating the shrimp to another tank and putting all my natural decorations like moss driftwood rocks and plants etc and just siphoning all the gravel be good enough?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think you reintroduced with your plants. I would do the co2 treatment again with the plants in there. I have scuds and they spend a lot of time in the moss and in cracks and crevices in the driftwood. I would only remove the shrimp, snails, fish etc etc. If you start over there is a good chance you will reintroduce through plants, moss, and driftwood.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think you reintroduced with your plants. I would do the co2 treatment again with the plants in there. I have scuds and they spend a lot of time in the moss and in cracks and crevices in the driftwood. I would only remove the shrimp, snails, fish etc etc. If you start over there is a good chance you will reintroduce through plants, moss, and driftwood.
I agree. I think the best thing is to start a separate tank and just reintroduce your CRS. Scuds/copepods aren't necessarily a bad thing tho. I have a bunch of tiny copepods in my tank and they only eat the dead matter in between the gravel which helps break it down for the bacteria in there to eat up faster!

How is your lighting? If you have strong enough lights you can establish a carpet like baby tears and then you prolly won't see the copepods anymore (they'll just hang out in the root system).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing is i did put club soda in the bucket that had the plants moss driftwood etc

I agree. I think the best thing is to start a separate tank and just reintroduce your CRS. Scuds/copepods aren't necessarily a bad thing tho. I have a bunch of tiny copepods in my tank and they only eat the dead matter in between the gravel which helps break it down for the bacteria in there to eat up faster!

How is your lighting? If you have strong enough lights you can establish a carpet like baby tears and then you prolly won't see the copepods anymore (they'll just hang out in the root system).
I have a current Sat USA 6000K i do have some dwarf hair grass growing.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a colony of scuds And copepod in the past and while they were not a problem ( I actually liked them), I killed them when i was dosing API algaefix. Be warned though, inverts dont handle algaefix well and my RCS/snails colony in the tank also crashed.
The copepods did come back after a long period of time, but I dont mind them either.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a colony of scuds And copepod in the past and while they were not a problem ( I actually liked them), I killed them when i was dosing API algaefix. Be warned though, inverts dont handle algaefix well and my RCS/snails colony in the tank also crashed.
The copepods did come back after a long period of time, but I dont mind them either.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I don't know how you managed to completely eradicate the colony but i have about 400 of them now and they keep piling up on each other and they are everywhere! I took apart my aquarium i froze the gravel for 3 days the gravel was a big block of ice and i put my moss wall and driftwood with moss in a bucket full of 2 liters of club soda (carbonated water) and half a gallon of regular water. I put everything back together cycled the tank and reintroduced my shrimp and 1 month later they are back. These guys are impossible to get rid of honestly :crying:and now they are eating all my moss

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm betting they survived freezing and came back in the gravel. Have you reintroduced your shrimp and if so how many shrimp?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
API Algaefix inadvertently got rid of my scuds, but I used quite a few slightly doses over a several week period with less water changes than recommended. My guess is that the ones that burrowed into the substrate initially were killed as they came out, and that this occurred for a sufficiently long period to eliminate all of them. I'd definitely take out your shrimp first though.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I found this: They survive freezing conditions and have been found alive totally ice bound.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here is a quick thought. A single tiny fish like a rasbora will solve your problem. It will obviously snack on a few baby shrimp here and there, but no more scuds, no more copepods. I kept 4 in a tank with crystal shrimp no problem. They breed slower than cherries. Yeah, you can scrap all your work and start over.... or you can hire a helper. I hire plecos and other cleaners to take care of my fish tanks. Heck, shrimp are some of the best workers out there. Ottos are also pretty safe in the tank and will help clean your walls and plants.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a quick thought. A single tiny fish like a rasbora will solve your problem. It will obviously snack on a few baby shrimp here and there, but no more scuds, no more copepods. I kept 4 in a tank with crystal shrimp no problem. They breed slower than cherries. Yeah, you can scrap all your work and start over.... or you can hire a helper. I hire plecos and other cleaners to take care of my fish tanks. Heck, shrimp are some of the best workers out there. Ottos are also pretty safe in the tank and will help clean your walls and plants.
Will it eat my adult shrimp? Any other fish you would also recommend?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Will it eat my adult shrimp? Any other fish you would also recommend?
Just my own experience has been that young ( 2~3 month old..) White Clouds are pretty good foragers. They'll aggressively hunt the substrate for critters, especially if you can leave a light on in the room to give them a little night vision, or turn the Moonlight function of your tank's LED light on. You will need about 8 or so to really make a difference. Feeder White Clouds are cheap and would be good as they're pretty hungry to start with. But preferably try to get healthy young non-feeders.

Small barbs like Gelius, Checkerboard or Cherry would also be pretty effective substrate hunters.

All of these fish would probably like to snack on immature shrimp although young White Clouds are fairly small mouthed, I'd still remove any berried females and shrimp under 1/4" in size.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just my own experience has been that young ( 2~3 month old..) White Clouds are pretty good foragers. They'll aggressively hunt the substrate for critters, especially if you can leave a light on in the room to give them a little night vision, or turn the Moonlight function of your tank's LED light on. You will need about 8 or so to really make a difference. Feeder White Clouds are cheap and would be good as they're pretty hungry to start with. But preferably try to get healthy young non-feeders.

Small barbs like Gelius, Checkerboard or Cherry would also be pretty effective substrate hunters.

All of these fish would probably like to snack on immature shrimp although young White Clouds are fairly small mouthed, I'd still remove any berried females and shrimp under 1/4" in size.
Thanks i think I'll buy 4 of them and see how this plays out

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.