The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought others may find this interesting. The amateur naturalist in the article is my father. The graduate student has become somewhat of an extended family member of ours. It's amazing what you can find in your own backyard if you care to look.

Here is a link to the article,

The Tricky Hunting Tactics of Dolphins
by Elizabeth Preston

Here is the first video Dad shot of the behavior,

·
Registered
286 Posts
Where was this video shot at. I live ont he coast of South Carolina and this behavior can be seen on Several of the barrier islands.

It is quite fascinating to observe. Creepy when your standing 2 feet from the shore line and very large dolphin comes up out of the water and eye balls you for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where was this video shot at.
Jack's creek (29.1696893 -82.916784) which is in the Waccasassa bay. Basically, Gulf Hammock, Florida.

It is quite fascinating to observe. Creepy when your standing 2 feet from the shore line and very large dolphin comes up out of the water and eye balls you for a few seconds.
I agree. Especially now that I know how vicious they can be. Dolphins aren't the "flipper" we've all have come to know.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That's quite interesting, thanks for sharing. Cetaceans are just awesome and dolphins are probably the most charming among them. I gotta give it up to Orcas though. Definitely my favorite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.