The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've got a tank that I plan to put OEBT shrimp in. Right now the temp is staying right around 75 room temp is 73-74. I'm wondering if anyone can think of a good way to cool it down. Being that it has a closed top I can't exactly just use a fan, but maybe there is away to install a small fan in the hood? The tank is one of these

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use a few PC fans inside the hood of my 72 gallon to drop the temp. in the summer. Usually lowers it about 5 degrees or so. The only downfall is that it speeds up evaporation like crazy. Lowers about 5-6 gallons a week. I don't know anything about your shrimp, but it's an idea if you're just talking a few degrees.

Attachments

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay looks like people are saying temps will be fine, so my next question is how high is to high? The tank is on the southern wall of the room it is in, but there are windows on the west wall, so I'm assuming the temp will heat up in the evening hours. I don't expect it to go past 77 which I'm thinking will be borderline okay?

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the temp hits 77, you're pushing it. They make similar fans to PC fans that are smaller that you could mod into that hood.
Temp is curenttly 76.7... Could you point me in the direction nof those fans, please? I'm going to pick up a computer fan at work tomorrow, to see if I can make that work.

·
Registered
471 Posts
One will likely do you quite well -- the main cooling mechanism will be evaporation, which doesn't actually require that much air flow. I have a fan on my 40 tall that only pushes ~3 cfm, and it keeps my temp down and condensation cleared out of the hood for me.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Zack - Do you have a basement? Put the tank down there as temp. fix.
I do have a basement, however it is unfinished. Basically a room of dirt and brick filled with pipes, furnace, water heater. :hihi:

Just FYI, Muffin is the model name for a blower series manufactured by Comair Rotron. No bakery products involved.

A link
Ahh... that's pretty similar to the fan I rigged up lat night, hopefully it will work.

Rofl I thought he was saying to make some kind of chiller out of a muffin pan......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.