The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
So I think I need to replace my cooling fan. A friend of mine gave me a 2x36w lighting fixture from his saltwater tank...It has been siting for a while and the fans makes a lot of noise. Its 40mmX40mmX10mm, do you guys have any recommendations?
Its import that the fan is not noisey and move a lot air. The 2x36w is on a 20'' fixture and it can get hot. Money is not a problem (because most fans are cheap), but I would still like to get a good price. Any links to cheap websites?

Thanks for the help in advance....:icon_lol:

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I was going to recommend the PC Power and Cooling fans but it seems they no longer sell them.

Get a good fan with ball bearings. Don't try and go cheap on the fans.

Newegg.com is a great source.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
like ek said, all the info i have on the fan is that is takes 12v. It is my understanding that most fans are ball bearing...the ball bearing ones are cheap too....

·
Registered
467 Posts
you're going to be disappointed with the noise vs cfm performance of a 40mm fan. anything over 8cfm is going to be very very loud. :/

a sleeve bearing fan will be quieter and last just as long if it's mounted vertical and the ambient temp isn't over 40c.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
You could try a lower CFM fan like a Papst (very quiet). It's output is not brilliant but it is silent. I would give it a shot ...

I've bought fans from Sidewinder Computers and Directron in my computer modding days and have not been disappointed.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
We have a Fry's electronics store here in town along with EPO-electronic parts outlet which carry an array of little gadgetry....

..... I am sure a short trip will offer plenty of options.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
you're going to be disappointed with the noise vs cfm performance of a 40mm fan. anything over 8cfm is going to be very very loud. :/

QUOTE]

The fan I installed in my canopy is a 120 VAC, 100 mm, 40+ cfm "silent" type from a good electronics store. It's not audible at all unless the canopy is open and you're standing right there with no other noise in the room. You just gotta get the right fan.

Tommy

·
Registered
711 Posts

QUOTE]

The fan I installed in my canopy is a 120 VAC, 100 mm, 40+ cfm "silent" type from a good electronics store. It's not audible at all unless the canopy is open and you're standing right there with no other noise in the room. You just gotta get the right fan.

Tommy
Personal experience wins over personal opinion stated as fact.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Personal experience wins over personal opinion stated as fact.
opinion? look on newegg.com and any pc supplier for a 40mm fan that's ball bearing and >8cfm while under 30dba. then look up the life span of a vertically mounted sleeve fan, compared to a ball bearing in 30-40c ambient temp.

next, i dunno .. read the original post!

how is a 40mm and 120mm fan comparible? really. i dunno how you guys keep missing the size he needs.

i could list of like 10 brands that won't fit his fixture and are really great. i'm sure he'd find that useful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts