The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a nice "ready to buy" cooling fan for an EBI?

I can't seem to find an outlet plug in small fan that would sit over the water.

I looked at Home Depot and Target Online.

I am looking for something small, maybe 5" diameter?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If you're a bit handy, you can get a computer fan for about 3 bucks, find an old 12v adapter from a dead cordless phone or something around the house, and wire it up yourself instead of spending $30 on the one above.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Too bad you already bought one! I could have made you a great deal on one of these:

Slave not included...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Too bad i didn't have enough time to chime in.
The Zoo Med fan i bought was a disapointment, it's very lound compare to a $7 fan i bought from Target. Plus it don't really do as good of a job as the cheaper one. I use the 4" table top fan from Target to cool my 40G Breeder and it consistantly get it to 72-75F degree all day, Zoo Med one can't even get it to 75F and the cheaper fan are super quiet compare to it.
Oh well, live and learn. More expensive is not always = better quality some time. Hopfully you have a better luck with your.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It can always go back!

I looked at Target but could not find a small fan that would "clip" to the tank.

I bought a Eheim 2211 canister and think I could also cool the tank by chilling the canister in tub of ice water.

I got more ghost shrimp for my EBI (10 for 2$ at petsupermarket) and they seem to be dying off too.

!!!!!

I'll let you know if my fan makes tons of noise. I do not want a noisy fan either!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I got my Zoo Med from Amazon and could had return them but end up moving the tank to my office so as long as i don't hear it all the time it don't really bother me.

The fan from target look like this one from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Westpointe-Mi...IJ7K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1314184891&sr=8-4

I think it's their generic brand "RE" for like $8 each. I use a hook and hank it on the wall and tilt the fan on to my tank.

As far as cooling the filter, i see one video of a guy using a cheap styrofoam cooler with a couple of frozen bottle 2 litters. He just make 2 holes in the lid for the hose and close everything up. Pretty cheaply made but i wonder if it could ever get cold enough.

·
Registered
448 Posts
As far as cooling the filter, i see one video of a guy using a cheap styrofoam cooler with a couple of frozen bottle 2 litters. He just make 2 holes in the lid for the hose and close everything up. Pretty cheaply made but i wonder if it could ever get cold enough.
I actually do this with on of my tanks it's a 2.5g. The tank actually gets around 72ish before it starts to slowly creep its way back up. So everyday I have to change out the bottles in the morning and at night. This might work on a bigger setup with 2 or 3 2 liter bottles. Also I would try and find a thicker syrofoam cooler than the ones that cost 3-4$.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My problem is that the EBI tank is under the kitchen cabinet and there is not much headroom for a fan, nor do I want to drill hanging holes in my cabinets.

I got access to thick styrofoam mailers (since I am a doctor and get medications shipped under ice).

Once I see how big the Eheim 2211 is, I could rig something cheap up.

Some of these freezer packs melt slower than ice. And I have been collecting them to "stock" my freezer since all I got in my freezer is one bag of peas!

I could bring the tank to my office but the AC if off on weekends and it gets to maybe 100 inside!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.