The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
A fan on top of the tank blowing the water will reduce the temperature by at least 6 degrees F below room ambient. I know from experience doing it in my newt tank. It also increases evaporation at least 3 times what it would be. Its not a radiator (which can only reduce temperature to ambient) but rather a method of refrigeration. The water evaporating is taking the heat with it.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
So just one fan would do the trick? What speed should it run at? are there special fans for this?
My tank is a 30 gallon, not sure how big a tank you are working with. If its a lot bigger or considerably longer, you might need more then one fan.

The specific fan I used is this one:

I run it on 'low' speed. Its pretty quiet, I can't hear it at all unless I move my head to within a foot of the fan and then listen carefully for it. Certainly its not as noisy as my cascade canister filter running on this tank.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Am I missing something here?I just turn my ac on and all my tanks are cooled at same time.
Additionally some critters require temperatures below say 72 degrees. My newts for example are kept in the mid to high 60s. Cooling my whole house to that level for one tank is not practical.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A fan on top of the tank blowing the water will reduce the temperature by at least 6 degrees F below room ambient. I know from experience doing it in my newt tank. It also increases evaporation at least 3 times what it would be. Its not a radiator (which can only reduce temperature to ambient) but rather a method of refrigeration. The water evaporating is taking the heat with it.
It makes sense now that I think about it, but I really hadn't considered just how effective it could be!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.