The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
how the heck do those tanks work??? im so confused..

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
so is it some form of suction of the water up and then filtered back into the tank?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looks like it operates on the same theory as a pet's self watering bowl? With water equilibrium? (water level going down on the bottom will cause the water in the reservoir to fill it). But how do you fill the main tank without disturbing the equilibrium?

Tina

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I tried this in the kitchen sink by filling up the sink partially and then filling the cup and turning it up. It obviously held the water. I then put an air stone in the glass of water and it pushed the water out at the same rate the pump pumped air in. The only thing I can come up with is a one way valve, such as what is used in air pump tubing. I want to test this, but I will need to find a more suitable container (the wife might not like an epoxied check valve in the bottom of a drinking glass).

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
The air is being pumped down from the air space at the top, so no new air is being added to the tall tank, which would let the water out.

On a side note, the tall tank has the opposite water pressure on it, it's all pressing in, not out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
they look neat but in regars to the Discus tank I think this comment which was left says it all "interesting design, but the fish have no horizontal distance to swim."

These tanks really need to house smaller fish

·
Registered
594 Posts
they look neat but in regars to the Discus tank I think this comment which was left says it all "interesting design, but the fish have no horizontal distance to swim."

These tanks really need to house smaller fish
Still nothing on how difficult it is to do a water change, that'll stink to have to do daily discus water changes!

Tina

1 - 19 of 19 Posts