The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering going with white clouds for the tank I'm building up. Since white clouds like cooler water, I want to see how much that would limit my choice of plants. Currently, my apartment is 74 during the day and 72 at night. Haven't had winter at my current place yet, but I usually keep indoor temp 68 to 72 during the winter months. I actually already have a heater for this tank so I could set it to keep the temp from dropping during winter if that's helpful for the plants.

I've read through some other posts on the forum about plants for unheated tanks. However, many of the posts seem to be dealing with colder temperatures or low-tech tanks. This tank (20 long) will be high-tech and will be lit with a 36" Ray2 DS that I've hung. If I understand things right I should be able to hit any reasonable light level as need like this. I was planning to focus on rooting plants and epiphytes like crypts, buce, anubias, swords, and dwarf hair grass. However, I would like to still have the option to keep stems if I change my mind down the road. Do y'all think these temperatures would be an issue of limiting in plant choice?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I'm considering going with white clouds for the tank I'm building up. Since white clouds like cooler water, I want to see how much that would limit my choice of plants. Currently, my apartment is 74 during the day and 72 at night. Haven't had winter at my current place yet, but I usually keep indoor temp 68 to 72 during the winter months. I actually already have a heater for this tank so I could set it to keep the temp from dropping during winter if that's helpful for the plants.

I've read through some other posts on the forum about plants for unheated tanks. However, many of the posts seem to be dealing with colder temperatures or low-tech tanks. This tank (20 long) will be high-tech and will be lit with a 36" Ray2 DS that I've hung. If I understand things right I should be able to hit any reasonable light level as need like this. I was planning to focus on rooting plants and epiphytes like crypts, buce, anubias, swords, and dwarf hair grass. However, I would like to still have the option to keep stems if I change my mind down the road. Do y'all think these temperatures would be an issue of limiting in plant choice?
There really are no plant issues till temps get in the low 60s. Even then it mostly means slower growth till the mid 50s. Then the more sensitive plants will die out but hardier temperate plants will still live till the 40s.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
My low tech 33L is unheated- and my house gets down to 65 at night in the winter. I have in there many crypts, buces, anubias, leopard vals, creeping jenny, bolbitis fern, dwarf sag, hornwort, subwassertang, madagascar lace, rotalas, a dwarf sword and a stem I think is hygro compacta (sold in the chain store as 'temple plant'). The only plant I gave up on in here was java fern- it would die back in the winter and then struggle to recover in summer months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.