The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love The Wet Spot. It's a great store with a great selection of everything I need and I'm lucky to live close to it.

But I want to know what else is out there. I've been to World of Wet Pets, Tropical Hut on Division, and to Pets On Broadway.

Have any of the rest of you taken a shine to another LFS that I should check out? I'm also game to travel 15 or 20 minutes into Washington for a good one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Which thread?
Looked for it myself and can't find it.

I do know of a couple of other stores.

Bell's up past St Johns used to be really good (Haven't been there in like 15 years)
Animal House in Corvallis (Just dropped in a few months ago and still has good stock and always has used equipment around for bargain hunters)
and Cayes out on the eastside used to be really good too.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts

Bell's up past St Johns used to be really good (Haven't been there in like 15 years)
Animal House in Corvallis (Just dropped in a few months ago and still has good stock and always has used equipment around for bargain hunters)
Yay for Corvallis Animal House!
....where are all the Oregon fish forum members anyway?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
There used to be such an amazing core group from Portland, but it has fizzled out for the most part.

From all of the places I have seen, if you can't find it at world of wet pet or the wet spot, you are probably not going to find it in Portland. That is why I did a group order from Hans when I got my discus.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All for fish is pretty good in Albany. Certainly the cleanest fish store I have ever been in.
Did a road trip yesterday and visited this one. It is certainly clean and has an excellent selection of dry goods (One of the best in the state). I found several CO2 options some good lighting options and they were carrying some LED options (Other than Marineland). They also had a [email protected] generator that was completely electronic with no tank or yeast generator. It sat in the tank and produced CO2. They had it on an under planted 125 and were getting 30 PPM with it.

There stock for freshwater was pretty good as well. They had a half dozen types of shrimp, some endlers and at least a dozen varieties of corys as an example. Prices were really low which they indicated was one of their goals. I think it is a good compliment down in the valley to Animal house which is much more of a hobbyist type shop. If you are in Albany I think it is worth a visit, but for stock in Oregon it still falls short of Wet Spot, World of Wet Pets and Animal House.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am visiting Oregon and checked out Nui Kai in Medford today, will be checking out Reef Tech tomorrow. Also, I googled up Fish World & Exotic Pets in Grants Pass where I have been for the past few days but looks like it closed down.

I will be trying to hit up as many LFS as I can in Portland when I'm there for a couple days next week.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am visiting Oregon and checked out Nui Kai in Medford today, will be checking out Reef Tech tomorrow. Also, I googled up Fish World & Exotic Pets in Grants Pass where I have been for the past few days but looks like it closed down.

I will be trying to hit up as many LFS as I can in Portland when I'm there for a couple days next week.
I am headed for Southern Oregon in a couple of weeks to take a section of the PCT and will have to try those two out. For the best in Portland, most are mentioned in this thread. There are a few others, but stock is predictable.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Just so no one goes looking for it, Bell's has closed its doors and is no longer a fish store.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just so no one goes looking for it, Bell's has closed its doors and is no longer a fish store.
Thanks for the info! Now I can save time by taking Bell's off my list.

Just got into Portland from Wallowa Lake (was there for past couple days).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just got back home from Oregon yesterday. While in Portland I got to see some places talked about in this thread, but didn't have time to visit them all.

On Tuesday I was able to stop by CB's Tropical, Caye's Aquarium, and Family Pet while my wife was at Columbia Gorge Outlets. Then on Wednesday I visited All Hep's Pets while she was at Clackamas Town Center, and later that afternoon I found the Wet Spot.

Didn't get a chance to see World of Wet Pets, Pets on Broadway, and forgot to look for Tropical Hut.

The guy working at CB's Tropical was friendly and even told me to check out The Wet Spot and Caye's for plants. The people at Caye's were very nice and chatted a bit and they have a decent selection of fish and plants. The Wet Spot was cool with a huge selection of fish & plants and the only place that I visited which carried Mr Aqua and Do!Aqua tanks and Aquasoil.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Visit Portland now from Tallahassee FL, and spent fabulous morning visiting the Wet Spot yesterday. What a fabulous place! Beautiful planted show tanks, and the best fish selection I have EVER seen - (keeping in mind that Tally offers a choice between PetSmart and PetCo with a couple of smaller places thrown in). It almost would make suffering through the gray Portland winters worth it. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did not even know they were still in business. I used to take a road trip from Corvallis once a month to Aquaserene. I will have to check them out again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts