The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to redo a 55 into a rainbow tank (haven't quite settled on which ones) and am trying to decide what fish I want on the bottom. I have cories in virtually every tank so would like something a little different. I'm not a fan of the bigger bodied loaches - for example, dojos are fine because they're thin bodied even though they're long, most zebras I've seen have been smalll enough that I like them, don't like clowns or yo-yo's. Not at all set on loaches, just giving an idea of what I do/don't like. I have an L129 I will most likely move to the tank regardless, but would like something that's a little more active like the cories, but isn't a cory.

The other consideration is that I have high ph/high kh water. My experience has been that most fish can and will adapt just fine, but I don't want to get something that is known to be especially sensitive to those conditions. Suggestions?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just made a poll the other day which do people like better corys or kulhis in this section (fish) check it out if ya can.

Kulhis all day but go with the striped variety!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are kulhis really out enough to enjoy? Thought I'd heard that they hide a lot. Had also been told they need a sand substrate to burrow in. Will they be ok/happy in an eco tank or does it really need to be sand?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Are kulhis really out enough to enjoy? Thought I'd heard that they hide a lot. Had also been told they need a sand substrate to burrow in. Will they be ok/happy in an eco tank or does it really need to be sand?
They don't need sand to be happy. I had a couple of kuhli's in a 10g with gravel, and they were perfectly happy. I actually some them out and about quite often. They might hide at first, but I imagine you'll see them quite a bit once they get comfortable in their surroundings.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool! That's probably the way I'm going to go then. I really like them, just had in my head they wouldn't work in my tanks!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
A different group of bottom fish are the ones that act like Gobies.
There are fresh water Gobies, and there are other fish with similar behavior, like Hummingbird or Darter Tetras.
They perch on the substrate or rocks like certain salt water Gobies. Then dart to get their food
Trochilocharax ornatus
Charcidium fasciatum

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15686

You will have to research to find out the optimum water parameters.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Cool! That's probably the way I'm going to go then. I really like them, just had in my head they wouldn't work in my tanks!
The larger the school, the more comfortable they'll feel in your tank and more likely you'll see them out and about to enjoy them. With your 55gal, I'd probably shoot for 8-10.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would recomend small Botia loaches like zebras, kubotai or sids over kuhlis. They are way more interesting! Also, in general there are a lot of new loaches species on the market (non botia) within the last few years. Red tail zebra loaches and sumo loaches are good examples. They are pretty cool, especially the RTZL; he is out more than my Sumo.

917 Posts
I think all bottom feeders are ugly. The only one I truly like is the pygmy corydoras because they're small and they just sit there. Their ugly catfish features are too small to see unless you look really close.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had to cover all my catfish, loach and oddball fishes ears!

They are my favorite because they are so interesting!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What about a red tail black shark or rainbow shark? I know they wont necessarily stay at the bottom of a tank; but I've always loved the way they look!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm leaning now toward dwarf chain loaches at this point I think, but I have several good ideas depending on what my local store has in stock when I go look. I've had a rainbow shark before and he got a little big and a little too aggressive for my tastes. I would definitely rather have a bigger school of smaller fish on the bottom vs. a small group of larger fish.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol! I like the male bristlenoses! I've got an L144 that's got a little bit of "headgear" in one of my other tanks, and he's cool! And I've got another pleco I'm moving to the new tank for sure. But another type of pleco in the mix is definitely a possibility!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pangio sp. are blackwater fish. High ph is not good. Something to consider is how aggressive rainbows are at feeding. "Kuhli loaches" look like worms! It can be difficult to get food down to bottom feeders under rainbows. I agree with the goby suggestion. I keep stiophodon, sicydium sp., & sicyopterus under rainbows with great success. Gastromyzon also. It's better that aufwuchs grazers don't get too much protein so it works out well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts