The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if Convicts would be alright with plants. I heard that they will eat them but I also seen them in with plants. I am planning another 10g(I know, Im taking my time with it) and wanted to breed(or attempt to) cichlids. If Convicts wont work are there any other cichlids besides Rams that would work?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Convicts would get too big for a 10 gallon. I was going to suggest Kribs, but even they may get too big. There are some other dwarf cichlids than rams, like Apistograma's, that would do well. Another suggestion would be Killie fish if you want to try something different.

Tina

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have kept Convicts in a 10g before and there are many people that do so thats why I was thinking of them as a cichlid to breed. I know that there are Albino Kribs around here and I know people that have done bred them in a 10g and kept them there. I can never find Apistos or Cockatoos areound here.

·
Registered
439 Posts
They won't eat them, but they might dig them up if they are not deeply rooted.

Since they dig to create a nesting area, you could perhaps put a flat rock where there are no plants, and that is likely where they will do their excavating.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
James, I know you are fairly new, so Apistos and (true) Rams might be a bit much (soft water for breeding). I second the recommendation for killies. Also, if you could get ONE (and no more) bolivian ram as a centerpiece fish, they are quite hardy.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EricSilver said:
They won't eat them, but they might dig them up if they are not deeply rooted.

Since they dig to create a nesting area, you could perhaps put a flat rock where there are no plants, and that is likely where they will do their excavating.
Thats what I was thinking. I was going to find something flat and maybe stack rocks to make caves for them.

macclellan said:
at least a 20g for a breeding pair
I read that but I also read on other sites(CichlidForum, MFT) that a 10g for a breeding pair is doable.

macclellan said:
James, I know you are fairly new, so Apistos and (true) Rams might be a bit much (soft water for breeding). I second the recommendation for killies. Also, if you could get ONE (and no more) bolivian ram as a centerpiece fish, they are quite hardy.
With Cichlids I am lol and I have had Convicts lay eggs but there was no male. My nearest petsmart has Gold Wonder Killies or something like that, would they work in a 10g? I want to have a sufficient chance at breeding them and make sure they will hatch. On the Bolivian Rams I cant find them anymore but Petsmart gets them regularly and they were cool. They would work well in my 10g SA Fish tank!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have had them in a 10g before and you have to stay on top of your water changes and also provide lots of hiding places for either partners when it comes time for aggression.

A 20g will do as well but I think a 30g long is optimal for a breeding pair.

Convicts and plants will make for a sparsely planted tank.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had them in a 10g before and you have to stay on top of your water changes and also provide lots of hiding places for either partners when it comes time for aggression.

A 20g will do as well but I think a 30g long is optimal for a breeding pair.

Convicts and plants will make for a sparsely planted tank.
Yeah I wanted to do something like Moss, Java Fern, and maybe some Hygro for a corner.

·
Registered
594 Posts
With Cichlids I am lol and I have had Convicts lay eggs but there was no male. My nearest petsmart has Gold Wonder Killies or something like that, would they work in a 10g? I want to have a sufficient chance at breeding them and make sure they will hatch. On the Bolivian Rams I cant find them anymore but Petsmart gets them regularly and they were cool. They would work well in my 10g SA Fish tank!
Capitol Aquarium on T street gets Bolivians from time to time.

Tina

·
Registered
295 Posts
i wouldn't do convicts in a 10 get a 20 long or larger. when those convicts get bigger in a few months they will be running into each other how would you liked to be stuffed in a closet all day? =] you could try anubius i have it in my convict tank and they don't seem to bother it much. dwarf puffers are a pretty cool fish to keep and i think they stock them at petsmart. they do by me at least.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Once the convicts have fry you will need to grow out the fry elsewhere as it will get mighty crowded in there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i dont know what was wrong with mine if you guys say they wont do anything to the plants... mine would rip my plants to shreds right after breaking all my equiment. needless to say my bicher had a nice snack lol.

ya like they said find a place that sales dwarf cichlids in your area.

·
Registered
295 Posts
killies are sweet! i have 7 clown killies in my 10 gallon. i started off with 3 and they didn't really do much just floated around near the surface. i put another 4 in and they started swimming around and exploring the tank. very cool fish. as for sexing i think the females are smaller and have a fatter belly not positive on that though. you should be able to breed them in a 10 gallon but bigger is better =]

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
lol Convicts too big for a 10 gallon. Thats funny. A pair of cons would be fine in a 10 gallon. unless they are VERY big cons.
Not all Cons get to the "potential" Maz size. Alot of them never grow over 2-3". As for keeping the fry. yeah no way in hell would a 10 gal be enough, they would be crowded in only a few weeks as they take on size. But after they are free of the parents you could easily move them to another tank.

I had a pair in a 10 gallon and they were there and doing fine for a few months. then I lost one to a power outtage. Now my flowerhorn has that to himself for a while.

Now addressing the title of this thread. Plants and Con's = disaster.
Convicts like alot of cichlids like to dig. they tend to favor the botoms of plants and that leads to lots of floaters and some destroyed plants.
Yes Convicts WILL eat plants. Just yesterday I observed my female picking at some stargrass I have floating in my 75G that she is now in. As wel she will pick at the rooted plants as well.
Breeding only serves to increase the mountof digging they will do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A pair of cons wont be "fine" in a 10 gallon.They might be ok but if one of the pair decide they want to off their mate as quite often happens then 10gals is not enough room for the beaten partner to get away.Also one of the main reasons cons dont get to full size is that their tank is often too small.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
A pair of cons wont be "fine" in a 10 gallon.They might be ok but if one of the pair decide they want to off their mate as quite often happens then 10gals is not enough room for the beaten partner to get away.Also one of the main reasons cons dont get to full size is that their tank is often too small.
I like your fevor. However Tank size does not dictate the size of a fish. That is a keepers myth. And a bad one at that. A well maintained tank will allow the fish to reach its full size. Only when the tank becomes a physical limitation does it negitivly effect the fish. This is not the case with a standard 10 gallon.
Most cons don't reach full size because they are so overbread and inbred the gene pool is crap. And their sizes vary a GREAT amount. Of course you actually have to understand the fish that is in your posession to make these kinds of decisions.
Also A con that has decided to "off his mate" will do so in whatever size tank. You can have them in a 75 gallon (their original home) and it will make no difference. So what size do you suggest would be best suited for a pair of 3" fish? A 150gallon? a 300gallon? a small lake?
I had 3 cons originally in my 75 gal. and the male would go clear across the tank to beat the hell out of one of the females. until he mated with both of them. Thats right, Cons are not as monogomous as some would have you belive. Sometimes the males do take more then one mate. Most times he will just kill the other. Again it is all a matter of observation and understanding when a fish needs to be moved. And of course willing ness to accomidate these needs.

You have a flowerhorn in a 10g? talk about unsuitable tank size.......
Yes I have a 4" flowerhorn in my 10 gallon as a temp home (as I stated in the first reply "for a while"). And he is doing great in there as well. I did have to remove some of the deco to give um more moving around room. But again just like the cons the size of the tank is not hindering his movements in any way. It is not a full grown FH.

The great thing is his color has exploded since he has been placed in solitary confinement. I'm guessing being kept in the big tank with tank mates he couldn't kill was stressfull. Even tho he was not being bothered by anyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts