The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i take a turkey baster(sp) once they hatch and suck them up and put them into a 5g tank for them to kinda grow a little? Dont have an extra tank really that has a filter and heater besides that one.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
They will still protect them.

Plus, look at it this way.... what do you plan to do with the Fry? In my area lfs won't even take convict fry for free. They breed like rabbits and take over tanks in a hurry.

I say leave them, let what survive survive, and don't TRY to end up with 200 of them...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Convicts will protect the eggs and fry until maturity (from my experience). If you have other cichlids in the tank, you can use one of those fish nets until they grow larger. At the numbers they hatch, you'll have a ton of baby cichlids - probably won't be able to take care of all of them!

Also, you should be careful when re-homing them. Most of the fry will probably survive and at those numbers, you'll stunt their growth in a 5G. I had one that didn't grow past a certain size in the 5G (and he was alone)...moved him into the 55G main tank and he grew like a weed...you get what I'm saying.

GL!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
be careful if other fish make a move for even one fry or stumble into the turf of the convicts your pair can and will wipe out the tank, happens often and its an interesting yet terrible sight, I would pull them all out so the parents can relax, however they will breed pretty much immediately after removal and you'll have even more to deal with. they make good feeders for larger fish though =]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.