The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out and bought 2 convicts home, but it looks like there has been alot of fighting and damage, could any experts tell me if this convict is a male or female?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there has been tons of aggression, this is the stronger of the two and im sure the other is a female.

I cant really tell the color of the belly, it just looks blue and grey LOL

Should I try to get another pic?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks guys and gals. I guess it is a female after all. the question now is what to do with the extra female?

I'll try to give it back to petsmart but im not so sure they will take her back because she is pretty beat up...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What size tank are you keeping them in? I have kept a trio (1M-2F) in a 55G with no problems. The male actually took turns breeding with the two females.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anytime you add new cichlids to your tank try switching your decorations around to reset their territories.That usually helps adding new cichlids cause they have to start over and make new spots and have nothing to fight over.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wingsdlc: They are in a 20 gallon long for now.

Discus love: Thanks for the advice, I will move around my plants and caves the best I can before adding the male.

I plan on doing so this weekend. I'll try to get some pictures up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I was thinking about putting about 6 cory catfish with them. Would this be a problem?

If so does anyone know of any other fish or bottom dweller they will be O.K with?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, I was thinking about putting about 6 cory catfish with them. Would this be a problem?

If so does anyone know of any other fish or bottom dweller they will be O.K with?
Personally i havent had any luck with corys and cichlids, i would go with some kind of pleco or Ralphy cat they are alot tougher.:proud:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to my lfs and picked up another convict. I think I got it right this time, but I will post more pics for an I.D. They also had dwarf puffers so I picked up three.

Does anyone else think petsmart is sort of hard to deal with. Everytime I go there and buy a fish they all ways seem to be in some huge rush. IDK could just be me talking...

I checked out their bottom feeders and they wasn't much but a regular one( the kind that get up to 24") and a bulldog pleco.

The two convicts I have now are very reserved and shy so I should be able to get maybe some schooling fish or something. Does anyone know if dwarf puffers eat shrimp eggs or fry/babies/culls? LOL not sure what you call em'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
id watch out for petsmart they dont treat sick fish and u should definitly start a hospice tank if you buy all your fish from them

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AACKKK! Turns out the convict is a male and their digging a egg pit in my tank after just one day. And my black snail just laid some eggs in my puffer tank! and Im waiting for my pregnant shrimp to give birth!

Im ganna need more tanks!!!...which is a good thing:proud:

Oh, and i just did the most make-shift poor mans Co2 in the history of diy co2. There are zip ties and duct tape everywhere, all hosed and taped to my Diy bubble counter!:icon_conf

·
Registered
343 Posts
i wouldn't put any other fish in with the convicts. i have a pair and i had 3 loaches in with them and once the pair started breeding they were chasing the loaches non-stop. there is a pleco in there and the convicts still chase him around once in awhile but they don't really mess with him to much anymore. i plan on feeding the babies to the oscar up in my bedroom =]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.