The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how old do convicts have to be before they can breed?? 2 weeks ago i went and bought 1 male and 2 females. they are only about a inch or so big and when i cme home from work today they female was hanging around the clay pot and when she left the male would sit at the entrance. i also had a green terror in my tank but they were both being very aggressive towards him and my other convict. so i took both out and put in one of my other many tanks i have. in the pot i can see a bunch of tiny little balls. are they two young to breed and i am just seeing algea. right now they female is sitting in pot by the tiny(what appear to be)eggs and the male is just swiming back and forth.

cliff notes: bought 3 convicts 1 male two female
about a inch or so big
are they two small to lay eggs?

thank you for any help received

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sounds like eggs to me. Congratulations! Hopefully, everything will continue to go well and they'll hatch. Cichlids are generally good parents unless they get stressed, then they'll eat the eggs/fry.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :icon_bigg

BTW, here is a good forum on dwarf cichlids: http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/index

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I bought a female convict she was only about an inch long and laid eggs within 2 weeks of introducing her to the tank with 2 males. After about 2 days the eggs were not visible ( I think she moved them into the gravel somewhere out of site ) and I thought they were either eaten or not fertilized. About 3 days later the fry began to appear. This was the first batch of fry I have ever seen or had. Sadly to say none of them made it. Within another 2 weeks they laid another set of eggs that is still alive after about 2 months. Just be careful with the other tankmates as the convicts are very very very terratorial with the whole side of the tank that they claim.

By the way good luck with the fry!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i removed all other fish from tank to keep down on the stress. she laid probably 25-30 eggs. anyway i hope this all go's well i have been trying to breed my oscars for over a year with no luck. so this is my fist egg laying experience. i have had plenty of other fish from pacu's jack dempsys. savanhan(or something like that) red terror and coutless others. and btw i am a memeber on another vbullitan board for car enthusist and they have a tolerance level with idiots or anything of that nature. so there will be no thread jacking. negative coments from me and i will help people witht questions if i can answer them. we just have a problem with morons that sign up over there and really bring the site down with negative things. anyway thats for the greeting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.